[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-07-01


  – DRAFT –
            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

01 July 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Jun/0017.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/07/01-i18n-irc


           addison, Atsushi, David, fsasaki, Fuqiao, JcK, Richard


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Please disseminate: TPAC 2021 Inclusion Fund and
     6. [9]Navigation for techniques & specdev pages
     7. [10]Definitions of metadata https://lists.w3.org/Archives/
     8. [11]WebAuthn uses characters to indicate language and
     9. [12]AOB?
    10. [13]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    <addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

   Agenda Review

    Discussions about the agenda.

   Action Items

    <addison> [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    <addison> action-1036?

    <trackbot> [15]action-1036: Felix Sasaki to Propose a
    definition of "metadata" for the string-meta bidi definitions
    -- due 2021-06-24 -- OPEN

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1036

    <addison> close action-1036

    <trackbot> Closed action-1036.

    <addison> action-1037?

    <trackbot> [16]action-1037: Felix Sasaki to Provide a
    definition of 'metadata' for the i18n glossary -- due
    2021-07-01 -- OPEN

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1037

    <addison> close action-1037

    <trackbot> Closed action-1037.

    <addison> action-1040?

    <trackbot> [17]action-1040: Richard Ishida to Add a side note
    about dir to
    clarations#contentvsattribute -- due 2021-07-01 -- OPEN

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1040

    <addison> close action-1040

    <trackbot> Closed action-1040.

    <addison> action-1041?

    <trackbot> [18]action-1041: Richard Ishida to De-emphasise
    xhtml in
    clarations#contentvsattribute -- due 2021-07-01 -- OPEN

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1041

    <addison> close action-1041

    <trackbot> Closed action-1041.

   Info Share

    <r12a> [19]https://www.w3.org/International/questions/

      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-html-language-declarations

    r12a: That document is now published, [20]https://www.w3.org/

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1041

    JcK: I have conflicting meetings, presence may be intermittent
    this summer.

    <r12a> [21]https://r12a.github.io/app-counters/

      [21] https://r12a.github.io/app-counters/

    r12a: Counter styles converter app, you can now type number
    … "1-10", instead of "1 2 3" etc.
    … Can set options for output, such as fonts.
    … Includes nearly all predefined counter styles and also allows
    defining new styles interactively and then copy-paste the
    resulting CSS rules.
    … And it is now linked from MDN

    xfq: May be useful to add lang tags to the output.

    r12a: Yes.

   RADAR Review

    <addison> [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: Nothing in "requested" column. Anything to add?

    r12a: We have two open issues in our tracker.
    … we should do some housekeeping.

    <r12a> [23]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/#webauth

      [23] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/#webauth

    r12a: they already have "close" labels.

    <r12a> n

    r12a: Aim is to move the webauthn card on the radar to the
    completed column.

   Please disseminate: TPAC 2021 Inclusion Fund and Fellowships

    r12a: Just to make sure everybody is aware of the opportunity.

    <xfq> [24]https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/9131

      [24] https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/9131

   Navigation for techniques & specdev pages

    <r12a> [25]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/techniques/

      [25] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/techniques/authoring-html

    <r12a> [26]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/techniques/

      [26] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/techniques/authoring-html.en

    r12a: That's the current page ^^.

    <r12a> [27]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/techniques/

      [27] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/techniques/authoring-html-new.en

    r12a: Problem with it is that jumping into it with a URL is
    possible, but it conflicts with the Back button.

    <r12a> [28]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/techniques/

      [28] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/techniques/authoring-html-new

    r12a: This one ^^ is a flat page, everything expanded, but
    instead has a menu along the top.

    addison: Do the old query links still work?

    r12a: Haven't tried, but they probably would.
    … But I need to check. The link next to each heading seems to
    have disappeared…

    addison: The old one looked vaguely like a checklist, although
    it wasn't a checklist.

    r12a: This one is more intended to guide people to material we

    xfq: There is no collapsed view anymore?

    r12a: Correct, but the ToC at the top replaces that.

    xfq: If I want to go to another section, I need to go via the
    "go to top" link?

    r12a: Yes, but the link may need a different label.

    xfq: How about putting the ToC at the left, like in WDs?

    <atsushi> +1 for sticking at bottom (or top?)

    r12a: Could also make the ToC sticky, stuck to the bottom…

    Discussion about sticky and hover on mobile. And color

    Action: addison: remind members to review
    techniques/authoring-html-new for next telecon

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1042 - Remind members to review
    techniques/authoring-html-new for next telecon [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2021-07-08].

    JcK: It seems easier for people already familiar with the
    topics, maybe not for new people.

   Definitions of metadata [29]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/

      [29] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Jun/0019.html

    <addison> [30]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/pull/1

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/pull/1

    <addison> [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/pull/2

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/pull/2

    fsasaki: Can discuss here or in GitHub.

    <fsasaki> [32]https://fsasaki.github.io/i18n-glossary/#m

      [32] https://fsasaki.github.io/i18n-glossary/#m

    <addison> [33]https://github.com/aphillips/string-meta/pull/2

      [33] https://github.com/aphillips/string-meta/pull/2

    <fsasaki> [34]https://fsasaki.github.io/

      [34] https://fsasaki.github.io/string-meta/#dfn-metadata

    fsasaki: See also the version rendered with the pull request ^^

    r12a: Maybe say s/defaults apply/default may apply/

    `Discussion about reading from the top vs starting at one term
    and following links.

    <fsasaki> I will update the pull request with "might apply"
    now, so that you can merge it after the call

    … Just want to clarify who is going to do this.

    Action: richard: publish i18n-glossary as FPWD

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1043 - Publish i18n-glossary as fpwd
    [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-07-08].

   WebAuthn uses characters to indicate language and direction

    r12a: I saw this this morning:

    <r12a> [35]https://www.w3.org/TR/

      [35] https://www.w3.org/TR/webauthn-2/#sctn-strings-langdir

    <addison> [36]https://github.com/w3c/payment-request/issues/

      [36] https://github.com/w3c/payment-request/issues/948#issuecomment-871897279

    r12a: They asked us to review in Oct, addison reviewed,
    completed in Dec, and after that this new text appeared in the
    … Looks like it was added in a hurry.
    … What to do? Is this a wider issue with the W3C process?
    Involve plh?

    <addison> [37]https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/pull/

      [37] https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/pull/1530#issuecomment-744988759

    addison: Looking at my archives... Here is a link ^^
    … Did not finish that review.

    <addison> [38]https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1526

      [38] https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1526

    addison: We have an issue ^^

    r12a: Yes, but that issue was discussed well before the new
    section was added.
    … So the problem is still that a large chunk of substantive
    text was added after and we weren't asked to review it.

    addison: The new text encodes language and direction with
    Unicode language tags in the string itself, and then trucnates

    r12a: And why is it at the *end* of the string?

    addison: That is to avoid that truncation removes the data.
    Truncation starts by removing the metadata instead.

    addison: It is similar to in RDF, the @lang is at the end.

    r12a: So there was some consideration of the encoding method,
    but it remains that there was no possibility for review. And it
    is a Rec now.

    <addison> [39]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/988

      [39] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/988

    r12a: We closed our issue, but that is not where the discussion
    took place.

    The issue points to the pull request with the new text about
    language tags inside the string, but it seems we didn't finish
    reviewing that pull request.

    Action: addison: contact PLH about webauthn issues and how to
    handle them

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1044 - Contact plh about webauthn
    issues and how to handle them [on Addison Phillips - due

    r12a: Also some typos, the pull request seems to have been done
    in a hurry.

    Action: addison: draft issues on webauth#sctn-strings-langdir

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1045 - Draft issues on
    webauth#sctn-strings-langdir [on Addison Phillips - due


Summary of action items

     1. [40]addison: remind members to review
        techniques/authoring-html-new for next telecon
     2. [41]richard: publish i18n-glossary as FPWD
     3. [42]addison: contact PLH about webauthn issues and how to
        handle them
     4. [43]addison: draft issues on webauth#sctn-strings-langdir

Received on Thursday, 1 July 2021 15:27:36 UTC