[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-02-25


text version:

  – DRAFT –
            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

25 February 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Feb/0009.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/02/25-i18n-irc


           addison, Atsushi, Bert, David, Felix, Fuqiao, Najib,


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Use cases for bidi and language metadata on the Web
     6. [9]truncation requirements in specdev
     7. [10]review updated personas of coga-usable
     8. [11]Publish segmentation article
     9. [12]Tracking progress on language enablement
    10. [13]review updated personas of coga-usable
    11. [14]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

   Agenda Review

    <xfq> [15]https://github.com/w3c/coga/issues/246

      [15] https://github.com/w3c/coga/issues/246

   Action Items


      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> [17]action-997: Richard Ishida to Publish
    typographic character units in complex scripts for wide review
    -- due 2021-02-25 -- OPEN

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/997

    close action-997

    <trackbot> Closed action-997.


    <trackbot> [18]action-998: Addison Phillips to Clean up early
    review column -- due 2021-02-25 -- OPEN

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/998

    close action-998

    <trackbot> Closed action-998.

   Info Share

    fuqiao: miniapp is discussion i18n architecture
    … discussed 3 proposals
    … one similar to webapp manifest, one similar to json-ld, and
    one new one

    richard: moving forwards on website providing proxy links to

   RADAR Review


      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

   Use cases for bidi and language metadata on the Web

    <r12a> [20]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/

      [20] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/lang-bidi-use-cases/index.en

    richard: did a fair bit of rewrite on this
    … homogenizing the two parts of the doc
    … added another example to the ebook catalog at the top
    … would like to send for wide review


      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/articles/strings-and-bidi/

    Action: r12a to link between [22]https://www.w3.org/
    International/articles/strings-and-bidi/ and [23]https://

      [22] https://www.w3.org/International/articles/strings-and-bidi/
      [23] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/lang-bidi-use-cases/index.en

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-999 - Link between [24]https://
    www.w3.org/international/articles/strings-and-bidi/ and
    lang-bidi-use-cases/index.en [on Richard Ishida - due

      [24] https://www.w3.org/international/articles/strings-and-bidi/
      [25] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/lang-bidi-use-cases/index.en

    Action: richard: publish lang-bidi-use-cases for wide review

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1000 - Publish lang-bidi-use-cases
    for wide review [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-03-04].

   truncation requirements in specdev


      [26] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Feb/0013.html


      [27] https://www.w3.org/TR/international-specs/#char_trunc_byte_boundary

    <xfq> DOM issue: [28]https://github.com/whatwg/dom/issues/933

      [28] https://github.com/whatwg/dom/issues/933

    <Bert> +1 to mentioning the DOM explicitly

   review updated personas of coga-usable

    fuqiao: may not finish today?
    … felix reviewed their spec and we gave comments

   Publish segmentation article

    <r12a> [29]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/

      [29] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-indic-graphemes.en.html

    richard: sent typographic scripts for wide review
    … a few comments from norbert
    … some technical points

    <atsushi> [30]comment

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-drafts/issues/276

    Action: richard: publish qa-indic-graphemes

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1001 - Publish qa-indic-graphemes [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2021-03-04].

   Tracking progress on language enablement

    richard: talked to sponsors of lang enablement
    … the i18n initiative
    … from this point try to capture where things stand, are we
    waiting on a spec or browsers, etc
    … get an idea of movement
    … some things have dropped off gap analysis because fixed
    … good to track that

    <r12a> [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/3

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/3

    richard: wondering how to do

    fuqiao: some issues very similar, e.g. <q>

    richard: could have created a generic issues repo, but too
    difficult to follow
    … one issue per repo, taken it some of the way
    … have to have issue twice because of diff requirements or
    slight diffs

   review updated personas of coga-usable

    felix: had a quick look at what they wrote

    <xfq> [32]https://github.com/w3c/coga/issues/246

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/coga/issues/246

    felix: initial comment was about adding a persona for life
    situation, e.g. non-fluency
    … they haven't taken that up
    … good to propose more detailed text, could make a proposal

    Action: felix: update coga issue 246 with proposed text

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1002 - Update coga issue 246 with
    proposed text [on Felix Sasaki - due 2021-03-04].


      [33] https://w3c.github.io/coga/persona/

    (all the names are western names)

    Action: fuqiao: check personas for writing system problems like
    vertical, non-spacing, et al as discussed in teleconference

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1003 - Check personas for writing
    system problems like vertical, non-spacing, et al as discussed
    in teleconference [on Fuqiao Xue - due 2021-03-04].

Summary of action items

     1. [34]r12a to link between https://www.w3.org/International/
        articles/strings-and-bidi/ and https://w3c.github.io/
     2. [35]richard: publish lang-bidi-use-cases for wide review
     3. [36]richard: publish qa-indic-graphemes
     4. [37]felix: update coga issue 246 with proposed text
     5. [38]fuqiao: check personas for writing system problems like
        vertical, non-spacing, et al as discussed in teleconference

Received on Thursday, 25 February 2021 18:59:29 UTC