[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-02-18


text version follows:

  – DRAFT –
            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

18 February 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Feb/0006.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/02/18-i18n-irc


           addison, Atsushi, Bert, Felix, JcK, Richard


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Wide review for Typographic character units in complex
     6. [9]Location of completed/abandoned reviews
     7. [10]Payment-request
     8. [11]AOB?
     9. [12]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

   Agenda Review

   Action Items


      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> [14]action-989: Addison Phillips to Check tus and if
    necessary ping unicode folks about d145 normalization case fold
    ordering questions -- due 2021-01-21 -- OPEN

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/989

    Action: addison: follow up with Mark Davis on liaison status
    and google participation

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-996 - Follow up with mark davis on
    liaison status and google participation [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2021-02-25].


    <trackbot> [15]action-995: Richard Ishida to Add i: labels to
    issue filing instructions -- due 2021-02-18 -- OPEN

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/995

    close action-995

    <trackbot> Closed action-995.

   Info Share

    jck: ietf is processing a document on rapid reactions to email
    messages using emoji
    … differences in cultural interpretation of e.g. checkmark

    (discussion of dragon infestations)

    <r12a> [16]https://twitter.com/r12a/status/1362375256971829249

      [16] https://twitter.com/r12a/status/1362375256971829249

    richard: earlier today I sent a tweet

    richard: looped lao and looped thai; different writing styles
    … slanted tamil

    addison: candidates for css generics?

    richard: yes mentioned in that context

    richard: also writing a gap analysis topic related to thai
    … probably khmer and lao as well?
    … in thai there are two diff sizes of space
    … actually high end typogrfaphic approach is to have larger
    space between sentences
    … thai fonts on mac don't support em space

    <r12a> [17]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/

      [17] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/fontlist/?script=thai&text=ตนเอง ด้วย และที่จะ#result

   RADAR Review


      [18] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1


      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:pending+label:s:payment-request

    <r12a> [20]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/

      [20] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/#payment-request


      [21] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Feb/0005.html

   Wide review for Typographic character units in complex scripts

    richard: have reviewed this internally previously

    <r12a> [22]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/

      [22] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-indic-graphemes.en.html

    richard: would like to send for wide review
    … any objections?

    Action: richard: publish typographic character units in complex
    scripts for wide review

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-997 - Publish typographic character
    units in complex scripts for wide review [on Richard Ishida -
    due 2021-02-25].

    richard: for each of the graphics can click link to see the
    characters and *then* you can click a link to see uniview

    richard: one other bit of info, looking at developing proxy
    urls for github content
    … looking at test suite, which moved to github
    … however, left the index file in CVS
    … haven't done a redirect yet; make a new version

    <r12a> [23]https://www.w3.org/International/i18n-tests/

      [23] https://www.w3.org/International/i18n-tests/

   Location of completed/abandoned reviews

    richard: was talking to PLH

    <r12a> [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    richard: ack fsasaki

    <Zakim> fsasaki, you wanted to ask about how to two draft
    versions of a document in the radar are handled

    Action: addison: clean up early review column

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-998 - Clean up early review column
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2021-02-25].



      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:pending+label:s:payment-request


      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1040


      [27] https://www.w3.org/TR/2020/CR-payment-request-20201203

    addison: (introduces payment-request)

    richard: add string-meta pointer


      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1041


      [29] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1042

    atsushi: but not examples in another language, that's hard to


      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1043


      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1044


      [32] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1046


Summary of action items

     1. [33]addison: follow up with Mark Davis on liaison status
        and google participation
     2. [34]richard: publish typographic character units in complex
        scripts for wide review
     3. [35]addison: clean up early review column

Received on Thursday, 18 February 2021 18:02:11 UTC