[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-04-24


            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

24 June 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Jun/0013.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/06/24-i18n-irc


           Addison, Atsushi, Bert, Felix, Fuqiao, JcK, Peter, r12a,


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Developing Localizable Manifests (draft)
     6. [9]String-Meta
     7. [10]Datalist find (Richard's proposed text)
     8. [11]Publish glossary to TR?
     9. [12]Review of article update: Declaring language in HTML
    10. [13]AOB?
    11. [14]Summary of action items
    12. [15]Summary of resolutions

Meeting minutes

    <addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <addison> scribenick atsushi

    richard: Peter will join this call.

   Agenda Review

   Action Items

    <addison> [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    addison: couples of docs, changes for string-meta which has not
    been done yet

    <addison> action-1032?

    <trackbot> [17]action-1032: Richard Ishida to Propose text for
    html 4814 (datalist find/string search) -- due 2021-06-03 --

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1032

    <addison> close action-1032

    <trackbot> Closed action-1032.

    richard: 1032 in agenda

    addison: 1034 next week

    <addison> action-1035?

    <trackbot> [18]action-1035: Richard Ishida to Update
    string-meta to use new mustard format from specdev -- due
    2021-06-24 -- OPEN

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1035

    richard: update string in string-meta (1035), in back and forth

    <addison> close action-1035

    <trackbot> Closed action-1035.

   Info Share

    Action: Felix to provide a definition of 'metadata' for the
    i18n glossary

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1037 - Provide a definition of
    'metadata' for the i18n glossary [on Felix Sasaki - due


   RADAR Review

    <addison> [19]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: new one, mediastream image capture
    … both I and richard reviewed.

    addison: move this one to completed

    richard: one infoshare, tracker for language enablement, had
    one bug which has already fixed

    <r12a> [20]https://www.w3.org/International/i18n-activity/

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/i18n-activity/textlayout/

   Developing Localizable Manifests (draft)

    <addison> [21]https://aphillips.github.io/i18n-drafts/temp/

      [21] https://aphillips.github.io/i18n-drafts/temp/developing-localizable-manifests.en.html

    addison: continuing some edits, look at section 3.2

    richard: do we have a repository for this?

    addison: currently temp under i18n-drafts
    … not yet decided to where this should go
    … will add an action to build a repository for this

    addison: any objection to make a new repo for this?

    Action: richard: create repo for


    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1038 - Create repo for
    developing-localizable-manifests [on Richard Ishida - due


    <addison> [22]https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/#

      [22] https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/

    <addison> [23]https://aphillips.github.io/

      [23] https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/#defining_bidi_keywords

    addison: hopefully not miss anything
    … one thing LTR/RTL and auto thing.
    … but other major points have finished

    richard: brief look on this, interesting document

    bert: terminology for direction, display direction?
    … feels somehow smaller from display

    [sorry missing due to battery out of speaker, exchanging]

    addison: totally open for different names, these are platform

    richard: if you have a manifest, which has string in with
    direction for each string, in this case data can say directions
    are all one direction, and could specify at the top as document

    addison: field or ...?
    … both string and layout could have

    richard: could worth to have another example for clarify

    richard: I'm not yet convinced with text on direction
    … we should dictate the naming

    richard: message should say use direction of field

    addison: string-meta is the most best practice

    richard: why they should do?

    addison: consistency on naming
    … wire-up document and consumer

    richard: would less worried, on name of direction

    <r12a> propose using the RECOMMEND keyword

   Datalist find (Richard's proposed text)

    <addison> [24]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/

      [24] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Jun/0012.html

    <addison> If filtering based on the user's input, user agents
    should use substring matching against both the suggestions'
    label and value (as opposed to prefix matching). Such substring
    matching should be done after Unicode normalization and case
    folding have been applied. User agents may apply other matching
    techniques as desired for their user experience, for example
    accent-stripping, matching kana with kanji, matching against
    potential misspellin[CUT]

    <addison> [25]https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/

      [25] https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814#issuecomment-522741220

    richard: quite not the same as suggested one
    … saying you should use substring match

    addison: there were long standing story why its hard

    richard: this thread is for what you will get from when you
    match with ones typed

    addison: could be somehow control less
    … most of the time, less powerful on finding
    … simple one is substring match, we recommending something like
    unicode normalization or case sensitivity
    … considering potential misspelling

    richard: we are suggesting, definetly unicode normalization,
    definetly case folding
    … that should be the minimum to do

    <addison> [26]https://github.com/w3c/string-search

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/string-search

    richard: whatelse you do

    richard: don't care of NFKC/NFD, normalized text is the all

    addison: want to link to charmod norm?
    … string match has wide variety, and difficult to define

    addison: any other observation here?

    richard: do they use capital letter?

    addison: might be

    richard: add a comment saying clarifying our thought, in
    parallel to raising PR

    richard: want to say is that two item should be performed, at
    some point in series. if there is no reason to remove

    Action: r12a to propose PR for [27]https://github.com/whatwg/

      [27] https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1039 - Propose pr for [28]https://
    github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814 [on Richard Ishida - due

      [28] https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814

   Publish glossary to TR?

    <r12a> [29]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-glossary/

      [29] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-glossary/

    richard: talked on this before, currently available for ED
    … updating document and definitions

    richard: question is whether to publish FPWD

    bert: thing in good shape, it is fine, and could be published


    <xfq> +1

    <fsasaki> +1

    <Bert_> +1

    <r12a> +1

    <addison> +1

    addison: agreed to publish as FPWD

    Resolution: Publish i18n-glossary as a FPWD

   Review of article update: Declaring language in HTML

    <addison> [30]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/

      [30] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-html-language-declarations

    richard: check on changes
    … not substantive, small
    … any objection to be published?

    <Peter> I need to drop off. Thanks/ciao!

    Action: r12a add a side note about dir to [31]https://

      [31] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute

    <trackbot> Error creating an ACTION: could not connect to
    Tracker. Please mail <sysreq@w3.org> with details about what

    richard: that section, I will change, some person commented
    … need to decide whether it is a good or not.
    … this is an anchor element in the main document in spanish,
    label for anchor is different language

    richard: span in English

    addison: title is not

    <r12a> [32]https://www.w3.org/International/questions/

      [32] https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute

    richard: so, I think to publish this

    addison: other observation is there is many XHTML header

    richard: baseically under detail, could move detail section to
    the end

    Action: r12a to de-emphasise XHTML in [33]https://

      [33] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1041 - De-emphasise xhtml in
    qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2021-07-01].

      [34] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute

    addison: otherwise looks good, push them

    richard: no substantive change, no need to be re-reviewed


    [chat on slow server]

Summary of action items

     1. [35]Felix to provide a definition of 'metadata' for the
        i18n glossary
     2. [36]richard: create repo for
     3. [37]r12a to propose PR for https://github.com/whatwg/html/
     4. [38]r12a add a side note about dir to https://
     5. [39]r12a to de-emphasise XHTML in https://w3c.github.io/

Summary of resolutions

     1. [40]Publish i18n-glossary as a FPWD

Received on Thursday, 24 June 2021 16:23:05 UTC