[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-05-27


  – DRAFT –
            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

27 May 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021May/0013.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/05/27-i18n-irc


           addison, Atsushi, Bert, JcK, Richard, xfq


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Rechartering status
     6. [9]I18N glossary
     7. [10]Payment-Request issues
     8. [11]one HTML issue
     9. [12]epub issues
    10. [13]AOB?
    11. [14]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    <addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

    Atsushi: [scribe missed the first part]
    … ruby, Murata Makoto, discussions...

    addison: Is this an agenda topic?

    Action: atsushi: ensure that a summary of the ruby issue in
    english is forwarded to the working group

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1030 - Ensure that a summary of the
    ruby issue in english is forwarded to the working group [on
    Atsushi Shimono - due 2021-06-03].

    r12a: Would be good if somebody made a summary of the Japanese
    e-mail discussion in English

   Agenda Review

   Action Items

    <addison> [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    <addison> action-1027?

    <trackbot> [16]action-1027: Richard Ishida to File issue on css
    multi-col to clarify columns in vertical -- due 2021-05-27 --

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1027

    <addison> close action-1027

    <trackbot> Closed action-1027.

    <addison> action-1028?

    <trackbot> [17]action-1028: Addison Phillips to Update
    personalization-semantics issue with clarifying statements and
    questions -- due 2021-05-27 -- OPEN

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1028

    <addison> close action-1028

    <trackbot> Closed action-1028.

    <r12a> [18]https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/

      [18] https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/issues/144#issuecomment-849206284

    r12a: related to action-1028, I just added to the questions ^^.

    <addison> action-1029?

    <trackbot> [19]action-1029: Addison Phillips to Review
    payment-request issues and mark for close as needed -- due
    2021-05-27 -- OPEN

      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1029

    <addison> close action-1029

    <trackbot> Closed action-1029.

   Info Share


   RADAR Review

    <addison> [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    r12a: I updated all gap-analysis documents.

    <xfq> r12a++

    <atsushi> r12a++

    r12a: That publication required working around new publication
    rules, which need all images in the same directory.
    … Putting all images in the directory is now simple for me, but
    I haven't written up how I did it yet.

   Rechartering status

    <r12a> [21]https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/271

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/271

    r12a: See link ^^
    … My request for charter review by the strategy team.
    … contains links to the charter drafts for IG and WG.
    … Period is 3 years. Updated charter template, but no real
    … Current charter ends 30 June, there may be a gap before the
    next charter starts.
    … Character Model Fundamentals is part of the deliverables.

    addison: We could make it a Note instead of a Rec, what it is
    … We could also make a new document, borrowing from the Rec,
    and publish *that* as a Note.

   I18N glossary

    <r12a> [22]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-glossary/

      [22] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-glossary/

    r12a: We talked about this previously. Is this ^^ in the right

    <r12a> [23]https://www.w3.org/International/articles/

      [23] https://www.w3.org/International/articles/definitions-time/

    r12a: I took some definitions for time zones from an article.

    addison: Is this copy-paste? Automated?

    r12a: copy-paste followed by editing.

    addison: Should there be links to the sources?

    r12a: Quite possibly.

    <xfq> [24]https://unicode.org/glossary/

      [24] https://unicode.org/glossary/

    r12a: The a11y glossary has links, if three defintions it links
    to all three. Maybe not too useful.

    addison: If you want more info beyond the definition, a link
    might be handy. But we try to make the def. somewhat

    r12a: I decided, after thinking about it, to include String

    addison: It is not all industry jargon.

    r12a: It is all i18n-WG-jargon.
    … My current inclination is to not include everything, but
    include what we may want to link to from various places. Link
    from a spec but also from an article.
    … String Meta, and also Character Model, is largely about
    defining terms. But it is useful to have a succinct definition.

    JcK: Yes, this is very worthwhile.

    r12a: We can still decide later what we want to do with it.

    addison: Who is the editor? Are you?

    r12a: Happy to work on this.
    … Typically, if you need a def, it is easy to add it, rather
    than wait for somebody else to write it.

    addison: At some point we will need to decide on FPWD and such
    for this.

    r12a: Fuqiao asked about adding links to other glossaries, such
    as Unicode.
    … That is a good idea.
    … Fuqiao also found some links hard to click. That should be
    fixed now.
    … For the ToC, I looked at how WAI did it.

   Payment-Request issues

    <addison> [25]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:s:payment-request

    r12a: I noticed a discrepancy in the number of items...

    addison: There is about three not flagged for closing.

    <addison> [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1046

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1046

    <addison> [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1040

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1040

    <addison> [28]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/848

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/848

    addison: See the three links ^^
    … The last one comes from plh's tool.

    r12a: I think I downgraded it from "needs-resolution" in 2017.
    … It is difficult to understand these, lots of links, not clear
    what the actual change is.

    addison: #1046, they recognized the issue, but no change in
    this version.

    r12a: I'll put a recycle tag on it.

    addison: #1040, they added something to get a language from the
    element in the document. But the notification is not always
    document-based, e.g., a push notification.

    r12a: So that is an argument for adding the metadata.

    addison: Totally.

    Action: addison: document the state of payment-request

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1031 - Document the state of
    payment-request [on Addison Phillips - due 2021-06-03].

    r12a: W.r.t., localizing error, we probably need to reply on
    their list. We say what we wanted and say that we will watch
    for in the next version.

    addison: I'll make that part of my action of documenting
    … I'll send an email to Ian and Marcos and go through the list
    of issues.

   one HTML issue

    <r12a> [29]https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814

      [29] https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814

    r12a: This ^^ talks about a datalist item and matching it to
    what a user is typing.
    … It seems we agree on what is needed, but not sure about what
    is next.
    … Will it be implemented? It was suggested I write a Pull

    addison: It doesn't seem ready. But you can write a Pull

    r12a: I'd like to pass it by this WG for comments.

    <addison> [30]https://github.com/w3c/string-search

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/string-search

    addison: We have a doc about this, ^^, but it is mostly empty.
    … It serves to scare people away from writing find_text() :-)

    addison: I suggest you propose some text, in an email, and
    we'll discuss it.

    Action: richard: propose text for html 4814 (datalist
    find/string search)

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1032 - Propose text for html 4814
    (datalist find/string search) [on Richard Ishida - due

   epub issues

    <xfq> [31]https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/pull/1648

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/pull/1648

    <xfq> [32]https://w3c.github.io/epub-specs/epub33/

      [32] https://w3c.github.io/epub-specs/epub33/core/#sec-container-filenames

    xfq: First issue ^^ is about normalization and case-folding.
    … They added some new text.
    … Text says file names in a directory must be unique after NFC
    norm. and case-folding.

    r12a: Does it need to say which normalization?
    … For matching any one is enough.

    <addison> [33]https://w3c.github.io/

      [33] https://w3c.github.io/charmod-norm/#CanonicalFoldNormalizationStep

    addison: Just Unicode canonical case-fold is enough.

    xfq: So no need to mention NFC normalization, then?

    r12a: But as they reference Unicode instead of our doc, it may
    need to say something about norm.

    … We advise them that they do not need to mention NFC, but only
    some canonical form?

    r12a: Yes, or they can say "NFC or NFD"
    … so they don't limit people to NFC.

    <xfq> [34]https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/issues/1629

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/issues/1629

    xfq: We dicussed ^^ before about length of path names.
    … We proposed to add some text.
    … They say the spec does not say how to handle too long names
    on purpose.

    r12a: OK, but a note to warn against splitting at code points.

    addison: Such a health warning makes sense, even if they don't
    want to limit what implementations do.

    xfq: Makes sense, but not sure they want to add such a note.

    addison: We are asking to say, *if* an implementation
    truncates, then don't do this.
    … Shall I write the message?



Summary of action items

     1. [35]atsushi: ensure that a summary of the ruby issue in
        english is forwarded to the working group
     2. [36]addison: document the state of payment-request
     3. [37]richard: propose text for html 4814 (datalist
        find/string search)

Received on Thursday, 27 May 2021 15:15:13 UTC