[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-12-10


text version follows:

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

10 December 2020

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Dec/0007.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2020/12/10-i18n-irc


           addison, Atsushi, fantasai, fsasaki, Richard, xfq


           Addison Phillips

           addison, bert


     1. [4]Agenda
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]Radar
     5. [8]CSS Text review
     6. [9]AOB?
     7. [10]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    agendabot, find agenda

    <agendabot> addison, OK. This may take a minute...

    <agendabot> Sorry, I did not find an agenda.

    <agendabot> addison, sorry, I did not recognize any agenda in

      [11] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Dec/0007.html


   Action Items


      [12] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> [13]action-980: Richard Ishida to Review css-3
    issues with xfq@ -- due 2020-12-10 -- OPEN

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/980

   Info Share

    <r12a> [14]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/featurelist/

      [14] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/featurelist/

    richard: feature comparison list updated
    … if you click on toggle type details, a lot more info than
    … if you want circumgraphs (glyph around base)... there are six
    that are there out of the list
    … stuff like that or composite vowels and such are all new

    next week: last meeting of year, sans richard



      [15] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    <xfq_> [16]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1001

      [16] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1001

    Action: addison: propose text for a stock health warning about
    selection/truncation e.g. on code units for inclusion in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-982 - Propose text for a stock health
    warning about selection/truncation e.g. on code units for
    inclusion in spec-dev [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-12-17].

    Action: addison: notify completion of DOM review

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-983 - Notify completion of dom review
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-12-17].


      [17] https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/pull/1530#pullrequestreview-548596741

   CSS Text review

    <addison> [18]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/

      [18] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Dec/0003.html

    <addison> [19]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/95

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/95

    r12a: Basically, not sure we have a complete answer, but copied
    into klreq repo and meanwhile issue can be closed.

    addison: Reason for us to close the text issue?

    r12a: It's old, and I think css-text handles it.

    <addison> [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/165

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/165

    <addison> [21]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/221

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/221

    r12a: the fix for 165 seems non-controversial, so I second
    xfq's proposal to close.

    r12a: 221: line-break no longer labeled as "at risk", so we can
    close it.

    <addison> [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/224

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/224

    r12a: So, Elika, you ca now go ahead with css-text.

    Action: addison: update css-text review request to note

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-984 - Update css-text review request
    to note completion [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-12-17].

    fantasai: Can you say something in the review request that I
    can point to?

    r12a: 224: upshot is that it looks good to me.

    <fantasai> [23]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/146

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/146

    <addison> [24]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/337

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/337

    xfq: The issue was not addressed and fantasai rasied a new one.

    fantasai: We marked transformaton section as undefined and we
    said it needs to be reopend agains css-text level 4

    r12a: Yes, I remember. We need to track 5017 instead.

    <r12a> [25]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/895

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/895

    <addison> [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/544

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/544

    r12a: that is our #895.

    r12a: 544: I'm happy, it is now clearer, propose to close.

    <addison> [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/545

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/545

    r12a: 545: Looks to me we don't need to track it anymore.

    addison: Change appears to be done.

    <addison> [28]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/603

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/603

    r12a: 603: Was editorial. Looks good to me and to himorin, too.

    <addison> [29]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/895

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/895

    addison: Now the ones you suggested to leave open.

    <addison> [30]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/553

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/553

    addison: We just talked about #895.

    r12a: 553:

    fantasai: That's a level-4 issue.

    <addison> [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/556

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/556

    r12a: 556: also level 4.
    … I propsoe to add "needs-attention" label.

    <addison> [32]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/565

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/565

    r12a: and remove the close label.

    r12a: 565: (these CSS issues are so long!)
    … need to read i nmore detail.

    addison: Are there other issues that need attention?

    fantasai: Many issues for i18n, but no more on css-text-3 for

    <r12a> [33]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5270

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5270

    fantasai: I think nothing blocks CR for that one.

    r12a: 5270:

    <r12a> [34]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4246

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4246

    fantasai: 5270 and 4246 are both css-text level 4.

    <r12a> [35]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3861

      [35] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3861

    fantasai: Yes, #3861 is interesting.
    … most of it is about tracking with Unicode, since they don't
    have a public bug tracker....

    <r12a> [36]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3487

      [36] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3487

    <r12a> [37]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3775

      [37] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3775

    r12a: 3775: I think it is resolved i the direction we were
    hoping. Can probably be closed.
    … It was also closed by CSS.
    … That was an interesting discussion, with ideas that have been
    floating around for a long time.

    r12a: It's about what Assistive Tech does, isn't it?

    fantasai: AT is based on what browser do.

    xfq: and browsers have no interop...

    r12a: I don't know if we want to close it now, since people
    didn't review it for this meeting.

    r12a got thumbs up and two hearts on his comment.

    Action: richard: study css 3775 for future action

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-985 - Study css 3775 for future
    action [on Richard Ishida - due 2020-12-17].

    of Aug 28.

    fantasai: My question is if we should block CR while waiting in
    r12a's study.

    r12a: I'd say no. There are some 40 or so tracker issues.

    addison: I will do my action to document our response right
    after this call. And then you can request CR transition.

    fantasai: Of all the reviews, I think the i18n issues are the
    most important for this spec.

    addison: I'll update the review request and ping me if there is
    anything more.


    r12a: Elika and I have been discussing the first parenthesis
    about Unicode bidi algo . Take away, or move to the end?

    fantasai: Line boxes do not affect ordering of the content.
    … That is the bidi algo, as specificed in writing mode spec.

    r12a: I'm not sure the parenthetical must be replaced, but
    maybe moved to the end.

    fantasai: Two seperate concepts. line box direction is
    different form paragraph direction.
    … Two bullet points define what the line box direction is.

    r12a: The 2nd bullet says [sound fading]
    … Maybe I should write it up...

    r12a reading the spec text.

    fantasai: The algo is all defined in CSS Writing Mode. Line box
    direction is independent and does not affect text order.
    … The parenthetical is a reminder that they can be different,
    which is not obvious.
    … I could make it a Note. But having the cross-reference is
    … Because people are going to be confused.

    r12a: Maybe I'll write something else, or maybe I'll leave

    fantasai: We can also talk together outside the call.

Summary of action items

     1. [38]addison: propose text for a stock health warning about
        selection/truncation e.g. on code units for inclusion in
     2. [39]addison: notify completion of DOM review
     3. [40]addison: update css-text review request to note
     4. [41]richard: study css 3775 for future action

Received on Thursday, 10 December 2020 16:33:32 UTC