W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2020

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-05-07

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 18:24:58 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <c42f32a8-7705-8ff6-aee4-60664f4f7b11@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2020/05/07-i18n-minutes.html





text version follows:


- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

07 May 2020

    [2]Agenda

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Apr/0016.html

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, David, Fuqiao, Atsushi, Richard, Bert, JcK

    Regrets
           Felix

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR Review
          5. [8]virtual TPAC?
          6. [9]String-search and string-meta
          7. [10]CSS Text issues
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      * [12]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <agendabot> clear agenda

    <scribe> Scribenick: addison

    <scribe> Agenda:
    [13]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020M
    ay/0000.html

      [13] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020May/0000.html

    <agendabot> clear agenda

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-864?

    <trackbot> action-864 -- Richard Ishida to Review prs on
    string-meta -- due 2020-03-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/864

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/864

    close action-864

    <trackbot> Closed action-864.

    action-897?

    <trackbot> action-897 -- Fuqiao Xue to Review open css-text
    issues -- due 2020-05-07 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/897

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/897

    close action-897

    <trackbot> Closed action-897.

Info Share

    <xfq>
    [17]https://www.w3.org/PM/horizontal/?repo=w3c/i18n-activity

      [17] https://www.w3.org/PM/horizontal/?repo=w3c/i18n-activity

    fuqiao: plh developed this tool for an overview of horizontal
    review comments
    ... it has server-side caching
    ... the performance is better than our review comment tracker

RADAR Review

    [18]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [18] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    <atsushi_> +1

virtual TPAC?

    richard: what would we do if we don't have a face-to-face TPAC
    ... replace with virtual communication
    ... trying to figure out how to do it
    ... there is our meeting and we could do it remotely
    ... but then the thing is that we use it to sit in other's
    meetings
    ... hallway convos, etc.
    ... how do we replicate. Don't know yet.
    ... .

    jck: what ietf did; maybe don't try that?
    ... cut number of meetings way down
    ... created a jabber room called "hallway"
    ... opinions differ on how well that worked

    richard: was the hallway basically just chat
    ... how did they manage arranging to sit in other's meetings?

    jck: just had fixed times
    ... anyone can wander in
    ... hallway might have been useful for "hey george, you should
    sit in on X"

    richard: organize groups and then on plenary day have video
    ... other end is closer to what we want; we have vague agenda
    and that grows into 4 day meeting in various rooms
    ... figure out how to generate meetings to join
    ... one of the things is that everyone will be chasing
    ... short bursts like CSS did
    ... time zones remain an issue

    jck: ietf's solution was to cut way way down to fix times and
    only a few hours a day
    ... followed by a large variety of interim meetings
    ... those are still continuing, more than ever before

    addison: set up "office hours" for us?

String-search and string-meta

    [19]https://github.com/w3c/string-search/

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/string-search/

    [20]https://w3c.github.io/string-search/#searching

      [20] https://w3c.github.io/string-search/#searching

    [21]https://github.com/w3c/string-meta

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/string-meta

    addison: 2 PRs open

CSS Text issues

    [22]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020M
    ay/0001.html

      [22] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020May/0001.html

    [23]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/91

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/91

    fuqiao: richard suggested using uax14 for line breaking
    behavior
    ... text richard quoted is still there
    ... but in line breaking section uax14 is referenced
    normatively in many places
    ... not github issue

    richard: the uax14 may have produced a change; maybe original
    place needs wording
    ... if not raised in github in css repo, they may have
    forgotton

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: raise issue 91 against css-text if
    that's appropriate

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-901 - Raise issue 91 against css-text
    if that's appropriate [on Richard Ishida - due 2020-05-14].

    <xfq_> Current spec text
    [24]https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-3/#line-breaking

      [24] https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-3/#line-breaking

    [25]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/95

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/95

    fuqiao: it's a tracker issue
    ... question to klreq rather than css-text issue
    ... although could ipact css text
    ... not github issue
    ... we do have a response

    <xfq_>
    [26]http://www.w3.org/Mail/flatten/index?subject=Justifying+Kor
    ean+text&list=public-i18n-cjk

      [26] http://www.w3.org/Mail/flatten/index?subject=Justifying+Korean+text&list=public-i18n-cjk

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: read the issue 95 email thread and
    decide if there's an issue in there

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-902 - Read the issue 95 email thread
    and decide if there's an issue in there [on Richard Ishida -
    due 2020-05-14].

    [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/165

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/165

    <xfq_>
    [28]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/commit/3da330af27fca1f2
    f59c6a1824f68ec7e5830fac

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/commit/3da330af27fca1f2f59c6a1824f68ec7e5830fac

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: read issue 165 and decide if it is
    tracker or needs-resolution and whether it is satisfied

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-903 - Read issue 165 and decide if it
    is tracker or needs-resolution and whether it is satisfied [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2020-05-14].

    [29]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/221

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/221

    <xfq_> Prohibition Rules for Line Start and Line End
    [30]https://w3c.github.io/clreq/#prohibition_rules_for_line_sta
    rt_end

      [30] https://w3c.github.io/clreq/#prohibition_rules_for_line_start_end

    <scribe> ACTION: fuqiao: add a summary to issue 221

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-904 - Add a summary to issue 221 [on
    Fuqiao Xue - due 2020-05-14].

    [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/222

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/222

    fuqiao: should be text-transform
    ... not to case transform symbols like enclosed alphanumerics

    addison: what does unicode do?

    <xfq_>
    [32]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-tests/results/text-transform#alp
    hanum_cap

      [32] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-tests/results/text-transform#alphanum_cap

    richard: jonathan kew stated that text transform is quite
    different from unicode titlecase

    addison: is that a good thing?

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: research issue 222

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-905 - Research issue 222 [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2020-05-14].

    [33]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/845

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/845

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: review edits in css issue 4765 (our
    845) and see if we're satisfied

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-906 - Review edits in css issue 4765
    (our 845) and see if we're satisfied [on Richard Ishida - due
    2020-05-14].

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: remind WG to review CSS-Text close?
    and open issues

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-907 - Remind wg to review css-text
    close? and open issues [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-05-14].

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: remind WG to review CSS-Text close? and
    open issues
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: research issue 222
    [NEW] ACTION: fuqiao: add a summary to issue 221
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: raise issue 91 against css-text if
    that's appropriate
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: read issue 165 and decide if it is
    tracker or needs-resolution and whether it is satisfied
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: read the issue 95 email thread and
    decide if there's an issue in there
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: review edits in css issue 4765 (our 845)
    and see if we're satisfied

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 7 May 2020 17:25:05 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 7 May 2020 17:25:05 UTC