W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2020

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-04-23

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 12:21:42 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <f9f9ae50-397f-2933-2439-eae2e4876fed@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2020/04/23-i18n-minutes.html





text version follows:



- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

23 Apr 2020

    [2]Agenda

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Apr/0013.html

Attendees

    Present
           addison, fuqiao, atsushi, fsasaki, JcK

    Regrets

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR Review
          5. [8]Status of simple-ruby
          6. [9]Font fingerprinting proposals
          7. [10]AOB?
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      * [12]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <scribe> scribenick: addison

    <agendabot> clear agenda

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    richard: move to zoom?

    addison: or chime :-)

    [13]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-888?

    <trackbot> action-888 -- Addison Phillips to Remind wg to read
    font fingerprinting proposals for next telecon -- due
    2020-04-23 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/888

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/888

    close action-888

    <trackbot> Closed action-888.

    action-889?

    <trackbot> action-889 -- Addison Phillips to Add html to review
    radar, respond to xiaoqian -- due 2020-04-23 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/889

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/889

    close action-889

    <trackbot> Closed action-889.

    action-891?

    <trackbot> action-891 -- Addison Phillips to Forward comment in
    issue 871 -- due 2020-04-23 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/891

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/891

    close action-891

    <trackbot> Closed action-891.

    action-893?

    <trackbot> action-893 -- Addison Phillips to Close dnt issue 62
    (our 508) with a comment -- due 2020-04-23 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/893

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/893

    close action-893

    <trackbot> Closed action-893.

Info Share

    xfq: in a previous meeting was actioned to add generic font
    family issue to next css virtual f2f agenda
    ... and it was added; it will be 2 days; 29-30 april
    ... there are two possible time slots

    <xfq> [18]https://wiki.csswg.org/planning/virtual-spring-2020

      [18] https://wiki.csswg.org/planning/virtual-spring-2020

    xfq: link has time slots to choose between; if you have a
    preference, let me know
    ... I will add you to the wiki
    ... time slot A may be shifted 1 hour earlier, but not decided
    yet

    <xfq> [19]https://meet.google.com/

      [19] https://meet.google.com/

    xfq: meeting will use "meet"; no meeting link yet
    ... also saw a lot of css ruby related issues in the agenda

    addison: wednesday morning better for me. others?

    richard: yes, I will attend if time slot A

    <scribe> ACTION: xfq: request a slot in time slot A of CSS
    virtual f2f for discussing generic font families

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-894 - Request a slot in time slot a
    of css virtual f2f for discussing generic font families [on
    Fuqiao Xue - due 2020-04-30].

    richard: discussion about nordic languages
    ... so in prep to reply, it occured to me that there is not a
    place to find out what's involved

    <r12a>
    [20]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/guidelines/le-participa
    tion

      [20] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/guidelines/le-participation

    richard: so I wrote something

    jck: very helpful

RADAR Review

    [21]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    <xfq> [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/112

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/112

    addison: lgtm

    [23]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/884

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/884

    richard: basically this is a spec that defines an API for
    sharing links and text to arbitrary...
    ... and as soon as it says text :-)

    <r12a> [24]https://www.w3.org/TR/web-share/

      [24] https://www.w3.org/TR/web-share/

    <r12a> [25]https://www.w3.org/TR/web-share/#usage-examples

      [25] https://www.w3.org/TR/web-share/#usage-examples

    richard: look at section 1
    ... has a title and something that has a URL but potentially
    text
    ... no language and direction; lang and dir of title/text can
    be different
    ... open to problems

Status of simple-ruby

    [26]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020A
    pr/0014.html

      [26] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Apr/0014.html

    atsushi: short summary is that in final review for updated
    draft
    ... we think all suggestions are in final draft
    ... hope to proceed to PR and translations shortly

    richard: is florian planning to do the translations any time
    soon? (conflict with css)

    atsushi: need to talk to him

    <florian> (in another meeting, but noticed my name. Which
    translation are we talking about?)

    simple ruby

    <xfq> simple-ruby

    <xfq>
    [27]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-japanese/2
    020AprJun/0103.html

      [27] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-japanese/2020AprJun/0103.html

    richard: is there a url for the japanese version of the latest?

    <florian> confused. that's translated already, so I must have
    missed (or forgotten) something. Need to pay attention to my
    other meeting now, but please assume I forgot the thing you're
    waiting on me for, so an email would be appreciated

    <xfq> florian, see link above

    <atsushi>
    [28]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-japanese/2
    020AprJun/0103.html

      [28] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-japanese/2020AprJun/0103.html

    atsushi: for now it is in email only

    <xfq> this is a new version from Kobayashi-sensei

    <r12a>
    [29]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-japanese/2
    020AprJun/att-0103/_____________________5_4.pdf

      [29] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-japanese/2020AprJun/att-0103/_____________________5_4.pdf

Font fingerprinting proposals

    richard: concerned about the impact on minority scripts and m-l
    docs

    [30]https://github.com/w3cping/font-anti-fingerprinting
    [31]https://github.com/w3cping/font-fp-protection-browser-hinti
    ng [32]https://github.com/tabatkins/proposal-local-font-access

      [30] https://github.com/w3cping/font-anti-fingerprinting
      [31] https://github.com/w3cping/font-fp-protection-browser-hinting
      [32] https://github.com/tabatkins/proposal-local-font-access

    richard: 3 proposals here
    ... one is really problematic, for example browsers only allow
    pre-installed in font-face and such, asserting safari currently
    does this
    ... we would want to suggest the opposite
    ... one from pete snyder
    ... one issue here is that people can fingerprint you from the
    fonts installed in your system
    ... and you might have diff fonts from other people
    ... so we allow you to set up a set of fonts in ui...
    ... so this is maybe worse?
    ... neither does what I thought was best approach; they all
    attempt to establish lists by looking at fonts out there
    ... and then centrally manage the lists of what's available
    ... perhaps safe way would be like cookie pop-up that says
    "this site will expose fonts on your system" and could be
    site-by-site
    ... and fp people rely on many many fonts
    ... if it were super noisy that would make harder
    ... a bunch of stuff about locale being important; they are
    thinking about host operating evnrioment locale
    ... disconnect is that want to decide based on the language of
    text not the user
    ... 3rd from tab atkins
    ... can add markup to page that triggers UI for the user
    ... relies on good will of page author nor address large
    installed base of pages
    ... for every page, for text files, etc.
    ... worried about lists by locale.
    ... latin script has loads and loads of them
    ... if you're dealing with font such as the SIL fonts

    xfq: tab's proposal is origin based?
    ... maybe not every page of a website needs this? just for a
    site and user uses to configure this?

    addison: how prevalent is this a problem
    ... maybe warn after 10 local fonts in a single page?

    richard: a bad actor might track particular language family
    users by looking for a small list of specific fonts

    addison: how do we talk to them?

    <xfq> [33]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4055

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4055

    xfq: think it is in 4055

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: respond to issue 4055 with I18N WG
    response about font fp asking justificiation and adding various
    discussion points made in telecon

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-895 - Respond to issue 4055 with i18n
    wg response about font fp asking justificiation and adding
    various discussion points made in telecon [on Addison Phillips
    - due 2020-04-30].

    <xfq> [34]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4497

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4497

    addison: I'll look at that one too

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: respond to issue 4055 with I18N WG
    response about font fp asking justificiation and adding various
    discussion points made in telecon
    [NEW] ACTION: xfq: request a slot in time slot A of CSS virtual
    f2f for discussing generic font families

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Tuesday, 28 April 2020 11:21:48 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Tuesday, 28 April 2020 11:21:49 UTC