W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2020

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-04-02

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 16:10:55 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <752e3476-b6b0-a08a-4dc6-418f4a628029@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2020/04/02-i18n-minutes.html






text version follows:

- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

02 Apr 2020

    [2]Agenda

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Mar/0011.html

Attendees

    Present
           addison, atsushi, fuqiao, richard, Bert, JcK,
           David_Clarke, fsasaki

    Regrets

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR Review
          5. [8]Simple-Ruby document discussion
          6. [9]Issues Resolution
          7. [10]AOB?
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      * [12]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <agendabot> clear agenda

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    [13]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-879?

    <trackbot> action-879 -- Addison Phillips to Remind wg to
    review rules for simple placement of ruby for next week's
    telecon -- due 2020-04-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/879

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/879

    close action-879

    <trackbot> Closed action-879.

    action-880?

    <trackbot> action-880 -- Richard Ishida to Ask florian about
    splitting the accessibility material from "rules for simple..."
    in prep for taking doc to note -- due 2020-04-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/880

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/880

    richard: did do, but no response yet

    <xfq> For action-878, I suggest that we close this for now,
    since the future of the publishing groups seem to be uncertain.
    I can pick that up in the future.

    richard: got a response from Kida-san

    close action-878

    <trackbot> Closed action-878.

    reopen action-878

    <trackbot> Re-opened action-878.

    close action-880

    <trackbot> Closed action-880.

    action-882?

    <trackbot> action-882 -- Addison Phillips to Reply to webvtt
    issue 256 (our issue 8) -- due 2020-04-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/882

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/882

    close action-882

    <trackbot> Closed action-882.

    action-883?

    <trackbot> action-883 -- Addison Phillips to Open issue 79
    against media-streams noting that we're just housekeeping the
    previous issue -- due 2020-04-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/883

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/883

    close action-883

    <trackbot> Closed action-883.

Info Share

    richard: if you're interested in syriac or syrian neo aramaic
    ... I've been developing stuff and pickers that explain how
    they work
    ... will put links here:

    <r12a> [18]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/#scriptnotes for
    Syriac, Assyrian Neo-Aramaic, and Turoyo

      [18] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/#scriptnotes

    <r12a> [19]https://r12a.github.io/pickers/

      [19] https://r12a.github.io/pickers/

    xfq: about action-878, inclined to close because won't progress
    in a few months
    ... cg chairs already know this email

    action-878?

    <trackbot> action-878 -- Fuqiao Xue to Refile issue 195 against
    the new community group after cg is created (depends on epub3
    charter) -- due 2020-04-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [20]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/878

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/878

    <xfq> [21]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/195

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/195

    <xfq> [22]https://github.com/w3c/dpub-pagination/issues/4

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/dpub-pagination/issues/4

    <xfq>
    [23]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2020J
    anMar/0104.html

      [23] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2020JanMar/0104.html

    xfq: css priorities produced by close ig
    ... sent email asking if will continue to develop doc
    ... and ivan replied that thinks doc is closed
    ... but CG can pick up maybe

    close action-878

    <trackbot> Closed action-878.

    addison: don't need to do anything about ruby in epub until
    they produce a spec, right?
    ... objections to close (none heard)

    RESOLUTION: close issue 195

RADAR Review

    [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    [25]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/871

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/871

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: revise comment in issue 871 for
    consideration next week

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-884 - Revise comment in issue 871 for
    consideration next week [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-04-09].

Simple-Ruby document discussion

    [26]https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/docs/simple-ruby/index.html

      [26] https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/docs/simple-ruby/index.html

    <r12a>
    [27]https://github.com/w3c/jlreq/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+
    label%3Asimple-ruby

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/jlreq/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:simple-ruby

    Bert: have a few comment
    ... think it would be helpful to start with a couple lines
    about what ruby is, a couple lines and link to somewhere
    ... surprised to see some sentences that say "I..."
    ... noticed first image that explains 3 types of ruby is cut
    off

    richard/addison: doesn't seem to happen to us?

    Bert: could be my fonts
    ... in intro mentions in tradition of hand-edited changes to
    make things work
    ... possible even if using these rules, allow designer to
    override certain settings by hand?

    richard: possible with CSS?

    Bert: what I'm hoping
    ... text is set on a grid with letters aligning vertical and
    horizontal, what happens then

    richard: it's a special kind of grid, jlreq explains

    <atsushi> [28]https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/images/img1_3.png

      [28] https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/images/img1_3.png

    <Bert> (The text being cut in figure 1 is indeed due to my
    browser's minimum font size setting.)

    (discussion of alternate teleconferencing tools)

Issues Resolution

    [29]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020M
    ar/0004.html

      [29] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Mar/0004.html

    <xfq> [30]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/190

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/190

    <atsushi> (xfq, sorry haven't get time to reply on your
    reply...)

    xfq: taken over by json-ld, spec is a rec now

    <scribe> ACTION: fsasaki: investigate if any more work needs
    doing in RDF for language and direction metadata

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-885 - Investigate if any more work
    needs doing in rdf for language and direction metadata [on
    Felix Sasaki - due 2020-04-09].

    RESOLUTION: close issue 190

    <xfq> [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/192

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/192

    richard: understand that RDF folks want URLs to reference
    things
    ... how would one approach the combinatorial problem of BCP47

    felix: provide URLs for subtags, here's a language tag, use a
    blank node to group URLs for subtags

    [32]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/192

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/192

    <xfq> [33]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/196

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/196

    xfq: ivan sked richard to update some tests

    richard: vaguely remember doing something, recommend we close

    RESOLUTION: close issue 196

    richard: had a thought for dealing with long lists, might be
    useful to put the i18n WG person who raised the issue or last
    person assigned at the end
    ... might be useful to see the ones we're individually
    responsible for first

    atsushi: putting names of WG member?

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: revise comment in issue 871 for
    consideration next week
    [NEW] ACTION: fsasaki: investigate if any more work needs doing
    in RDF for language and direction metadata

Summary of Resolutions

     1. [34]close issue 195
     2. [35]close issue 190
     3. [36]close issue 196

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 2 April 2020 15:11:01 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 2 April 2020 15:11:03 UTC