[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2019-02-21

edited minutes at https://www.w3.org/2019/02/21-i18n-minutes.html

text version follows:

  - DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

21 Feb 2019




           addison, Katy, jeffsto, r12a-telecon, David, xfq, Bert,
           JcK, Atsushi


           Addison Phillips



      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [8]volunteers for maintenance activities
          6. [9]short checkist for spec developers
          7. [10]String-Meta
          8. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      * [13]Summary of Resolutions

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items


      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> action-775 -- Addison Phillips to Ping florian in
    place of chaals for input type=email -- due 2019-02-14 -- OPEN


      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/775

    supposed to be ruby


    <trackbot> action-777 -- Addison Phillips to Ask florian and
    kobayashi about their preferences regarding publication and
    maintenance of simple-ruby document -- due 2019-02-21 -- OPEN


      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/777

    close action-777

    <trackbot> Closed action-777.


    <trackbot> action-778 -- Richard Ishida to Revise string-meta
    section 4.5 if appropriate -- due 2019-02-21 -- OPEN


      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/778

    close action-778

    <trackbot> Closed action-778.

Info Share

    <scribe> scribenick: addison

    richard: doing a marathon on typography index

    <r12a-telecon> [18]http://w3c.github.io/typography/

      [18] http://w3c.github.io/typography/

    richard: supposed to be a key document for requirements work
    ... many links out of date
    ... hard to edit it in html
    ... all very messy
    ... so I ripped it apart and made data into JSON
    ... easier to add to
    ... page reads data and creates what you see in link above
    ... rationalizing use of keywords, labels
    ... adding links to gap analysis
    ... need to go through tests, mongolian stuff
    ... would anyone like to help, now that it is easy...?

    katy: this would be working on the json file?

    richard: it's a set syntax, (finding file)

    katy: interested to chat about it


      [19] http://w3c.github.io/typography/index-data/data.json

    <scribe> ACTION: katy: sync with richard about maintaining
    typography index

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-779 - Sync with richard about
    maintaining typography index [on Katy Mawhood - due

    jeff: will you talk more about i18n techniques

RADAR and Active Work Review


      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    richard to add verifiable claims to track page


      [21] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    richard: arabic not worked on recently
    ... so removed issues notes etc.
    ... view to publishing as a note
    ... but if working again, less daunting if no junk
    ... some progress
    ... go through the issue list and trying to figure out what is
    editorial vs. (etc)
    ... applying new label "useful discussion"
    ... looking at issue list, there is as much interesting stuff
    there as in the lreq doc
    ... so looking to label the useful material/discussion with a
    ... so can point to from typography index
    ... maybe one already there
    ... probably remove charmod from list
    ... updating my description/summary of writing systems and

    <r12a-telecon> [22]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/

      [22] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/

    richard: if you were to look at e.g. bengali
    ... (#structure) talking about e.g. how syllables are formed

    katy: you mentioned SVG

    richard: want to move 'characters'
    ... using UTF-16 code units not a good idea, but struggling
    with "what are text units we need?"

    katy: simplify input of indic script?

volunteers for maintenance activities

    <r12a-telecon> [23]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

      [23] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

    Addison invites group participants to review old tracker items
    and propose that they should be closed or other action taken

    this is not a hard task, you don't need to know much since you
    can read the thread

    goal is to (1) figure out whether the comment is resolved, no
    longer applicable (eg. because the spec is published as a Rec),
    or needs some other work - then (2) raise lists of tracker
    issues in advance of the telecon (so people can read and
    check), then put list on agenda for discussion during telecon
    and approve next steps

short checkist for spec developers

    jeff: we have internal checklists


      [24] https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

    richard: it would perhaps help spec developers feel less
    ... if we could ask them whether their spec does a certain
    number of things relevant to i18n, and if so point to specific
    parts of our (long) checklist
    ... can also help folks doing reviews in our WG to know what to
    look for
    ... so ask yourself basic questions, e.g. if 'natural language'
    then look at, say, bidi or metadata
    ... if spec has time/date, then look at timezones etc
    ... groups come and say "we don't have anything" and these
    basic questions can lead in

    david: people who say they don't need a review are sometimes
    most in need

    richard: wanted to produce a list of this type for some time



    <scribe> ACTION: richard: put short checklist into a document
    and structure a bit better

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-780 - Put short checklist into a
    document and structure a bit better [on Richard Ishida - due



      [26] https://w3c.github.io/string-meta/



    Work is still ongoing re the rewrite. May be ready for review
    in about a week.


Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: katy: sync with richard about maintaining
    typography index
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: put short checklist into a document and
    structure a bit better

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 21 February 2019 16:09:36 UTC