W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2018

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2018-05-31

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 17:36:29 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <062839c7-a6bc-6ef6-dc40-6df267fe7eda@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-i18n-minutes.html






text extract follows:



  – DRAFT –
            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

31 May 2018

    [2]Agenda [3]IRC log

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2018May/0010.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           addison, Bert, David, Fuqiao, JcK, Katy, r12a, stpeter

    Regrets

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [4]Meeting Minutes
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Radar
          5. [9]HTML 5.3 review
      * [10]Summary of Action Items

Meeting Minutes

Agenda

Action Items

    [11]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [11] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-711?

    <trackbot> action-711 -- Addison Phillips to Follow up on
    pointer spec to see if they requested a review -- due
    2018-05-17 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [12]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/
    711

      [12] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/711

    action-712?

    <trackbot> action-712 -- Addison Phillips to Ping webvtt on our
    issues 4 and 12 since they have a cr transition with these open
    -- due 2018-05-17 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [13]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/
    712

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/712

    close action-712

    <trackbot> Closed action-712.

    action-716?

    <trackbot> action-716 -- Addison Phillips to Update whatwg
    issue 3636 to say we discussed and would like to proceed -- due
    2018-05-17 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/
    716

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/716

    close action-716

    <trackbot> Closed action-716.

    action-717?

    <trackbot> action-717 -- Addison Phillips to Update microdata
    issue 21 saying we don't object -- due 2018-05-17 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/
    717

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/717

    close action-717

    <trackbot> Closed action-717.

    action-719?

    <trackbot> action-719 -- Addison Phillips to Respond to gamepad
    that we reviewed with no issues -- due 2018-05-31 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/
    719

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/719

    close action-719

    <trackbot> Closed action-719.

    action-720?

    <trackbot> action-720 -- Addison Phillips to Write to html and
    tell them we're not quite done with the review of 5.3 -- due
    2018-05-31 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [17]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/
    720

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/720

    close action-720

    <trackbot> Closed action-720.

    action-721?

    <trackbot> action-721 -- Katy Mawhood to Look into font
    subsetting for charmod-norm -- due 2018-05-31 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [18]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/
    721

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/721

Info Share

    peter: andrew sullivan sent me something from thailand
    … promoting use of thai script email addresses
    … interested in picture of w3c support etc.
    … unclear on details
    … he's unavail as am I
    … anyone willing to represent?

    richard: 4th time contacted about this by 4 diff groups
    … want someone from w3c
    … stand up and say "it's fixed, go use"
    … problem is not fixed
    … fixed in w3c spec but not whatwg spec

    addison: only html

    Action: addison: work with Peter and JcK on a response relative
    to thai EAI request

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-722 - Work with peter and jck on a
    response relative to thai eai request [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2018-06-07].

    jck: trying to get ietf unstuck on i18n topics
    … posted note on ietf@
    … should there be a BOF in montreal
    … procedurally deal with i18n
    … no new news yet

Radar

    [19]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    Action: addison: follow up on our UTR53 comments

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-723 - Follow up on our utr53 comments
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2018-06-07].

    Action: addison: review "awaiting comment resolution" items and
    follow up

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-724 - Review "awaiting comment
    resolution" items and follow up [on Addison Phillips - due
    2018-06-07].

    [20]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

      [20] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    richard: jlreq idea catching
    … indic getting going
    … SEA making good progress
    … whatwg has restructured encoding tests
    … look different than our test suite

    richard: some progress thanks to fuqiao replacing approx 500
    files with 20-ish in web tests

HTML 5.3 review

    [21]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/
    issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Ahtml

      [21] 
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?utf8=✓&q=is:issue+is:open+label:html

    [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/573

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/573

    [23]https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/1092

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/1092

    Action: richard: raise profile of whatwg thread on
    autocomplete/autocapitalize

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-725 - Raise profile of whatwg thread
    on autocomplete/autocapitalize [on Richard Ishida - due
    2018-06-07].

    <r12a> [24]https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/3273

      [24] https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/3273

    <r12a> [25]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/armenian/#direction

      [25] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/armenian/#direction

    file three issues: wording, hint to input, foot in door

    richard: changes to encoding
    … email to member just before mtg

    [26]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/
    2018May/0012.html

      [26] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2018May/0012.html

    <r12a> my initial recommendations:

    <r12a> - say for newly-created documents everywhere that utf-8
    is mandated, to avoid confusion around legacy pages

    <r12a> - make sure it’s clear that documents must be encoded in
    utf-8, rather than simply that the charset value is utf-8, for
    authors

    <r12a> - tighten up our articles about choosing and declaring
    encoding in HTML - add charset info, and need to use utf-8 for
    script pages

    <r12a> - continue to include information about acceptable
    legacy encodings, and requirements for their labelling in some
    obscure section

    Action: richard: file utf-8 issue on html53


Summary of Action Items

     1. [27]addison: work with Peter and JcK on a response relative
        to thai EAI request
     2. [28]addison: follow up on our UTR53 comments
     3. [29]addison: review "awaiting comment resolution" items and
        follow up
     4. [30]richard: raise profile of whatwg thread on
        autocomplete/autocapitalize
     5. [31]richard: file utf-8 issue on html53
Received on Thursday, 31 May 2018 16:36:34 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:13 UTC