W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2018

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2018-05-24

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 17:36:57 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <7d554631-eeab-5d62-97b4-ba5cfff22a98@w3.org>

text excerpt follows:

                                - DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

24 May 2018




           addison, David, r12a, JcK, Katy, Fuqiao


           Addison Phillips



      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]Radar
          5. [8]HTML 5.3 review
          6. [9]Charmod-Norm
          7. [10]AOB?
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      * [12]Summary of Resolutions

    trackbot, prepare teleconference


Action Items


      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> action-709 -- Addison Phillips to Announce charmod
    to ietf@ (jck to post to other lists) -- due 2018-05-10 -- OPEN


      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/709

    close action-709

    <trackbot> Closed action-709.


    <trackbot> action-713 -- Addison Phillips to Make html53 review
    homework for next telecon -- due 2018-05-17 -- OPEN


      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/713

    close action-713

    <trackbot> Closed action-713.


    <trackbot> action-714 -- Richard Ishida to Check spacing for
    french examples in q element article (for non-breaking) -- due
    2018-05-17 -- OPEN


      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/714

    close action-714

    <trackbot> Closed action-714.


    <trackbot> action-715 -- Richard Ishida to Add info to q
    element article about quoted text that should looks like
    original -- due 2018-05-17 -- OPEN


      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/715

    close action-715

    <trackbot> Closed action-715.

Info Share

    Katy: info about slack talk?

    <scribe> ... new group for indic font design, open invite to
    anyone interested in indic typography

    UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: just getting started

    richard: link was mainly about typefaces?

    katy: send an invite and you can jump on to look?

    richard: sure
    ... if only about typefaces, not so interesting
    ... but if about justification and such, might be useful

    katy: unicode has offered a channel on CLDR and ICU
    ... merging of those groups
    ... to try to get non-profit status on that group

    richard: while I was in berlin I spoke to florian
    ... and murata-san
    ... and Kato-san from Kodansha. consensus was to get JLREQ
    group functioning again
    ... idea is to setup like SEA group
    ... accommodate a network of experts
    ... group contributors identified
    ... may do addenda updates to JLREQ
    ... or changes
    ... one new doc we said we'd publish--need to check status
    ... put together content model doc for ruby
    ... maybe take on board
    ... advanced publishing lab make docs and then publishing via
    ... nice to get going again
    ... also talking to Daniel about Ethiopic
    ... arabic has not had a meeting recently
    ... starting SEA, some discussion going on
    ... indic layout work and IIP is starting to roll forward
    ... 5 preliminary gap analysis docs
    ... working on more detail
    ... HTML discussion about ruby


      [18] https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/1424

    richard: chaals latest proposal is a warning about layout not
    ... recommend reading

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: add html issue 1424 to homework for
    next week

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-718 - Add html issue 1424 to homework
    for next week [on Addison Phillips - due 2018-05-31].



      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    addison: gamepad request

    richard: there is a timestamp, but just a number of ms

    <r12a> [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/569

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/569

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: respond to gamepad that we reviewed
    with no issues

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-719 - Respond to gamepad that we
    reviewed with no issues [on Addison Phillips - due 2018-05-31].

    richard: include self-review suggestion in your note

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write to html and tell them we're not
    quite done with the review of 5.3

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-720 - Write to html and tell them
    we're not quite done with the review of 5.3 [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2018-05-31].

HTML 5.3 review

    richard: discussion about web components
    ... long thread about shadow dom and dir/css-direction

    <r12a> [21]https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3699

      [21] https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3699

    richard: doing a poor job of reviewing that part :-) don't have
    much more to say about it
    ... possibly koji could help?

    <r12a> [22]https://github.com/w3c/html/pull/1273/

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/html/pull/1273/

    richard: you have to use UTF-8 only is what the spec says
    ... for meta, http headers, etc.
    ... looking for get-out for get-out for pages you already have
    ... more time to track down
    ... in past we tracked w3c and hoped whatwg would track
    ... time here to interface with whatwg version, at least as an

    jck: who referees?

    addison: how do we interface?

    richard: put in labels and got ability to put labels on whatwg
    ... includes notifying clreq and jlreq as well as i18n-track
    and i18n-comment

    addison: no formal mechanism? depends on us seeing things?

    richard: expect things to be different from now on, more
    listening to community
    ... encouraging to reach out

    addison: w3c has gates that we're hooked up to
    ... have to see all conversations



    <r12a> Mandate UTF-8

    <r12a> [24]https://github.com/w3c/html/pull/1273/

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/html/pull/1273/

    <r12a> Allow fully internationalised email addresses

    <r12a> [25]https://github.com/w3c/html/pull/1163

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/html/pull/1163

    addison: latter at our behest I believe

    richard: yes
    ... at least one pending item was raised as what-wg issue
    ... could be pending because stuck a label there



      [26] https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/


      [27] https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues

    <r12a> [28]https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues/168

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues/168

    addison: provide some graphics for font-related examples

    richard: put webfont on top of fallback

    <r12a> [29]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/javanese/

      [29] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/javanese/

    <r12a> [30]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/khmer/

      [30] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/khmer/

    य ू न ि क ो ड

    <r12a> [31]https://r12a.github.io/blog/201408.html#20150106

      [31] https://r12a.github.io/blog/201408.html#20150106

    <scribe> ACTION: katy: look into font subsetting for

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-721 - Look into font subsetting for
    charmod-norm [on Katy Mawhood - due 2018-05-31].

    <r12a> The Combining Character Conundrum


    <koji> addison/r12a: yeah, I'm trying to understand the issue,
    will consult here if any changes are needed

    <r12a> thanks, koji

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: add html issue 1424 to homework for next
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: respond to gamepad that we reviewed with
    no issues
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write to html and tell them we're not
    quite done with the review of 5.3
    [NEW] ACTION: katy: look into font subsetting for charmod-norm

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 24 May 2018 16:37:02 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:13 UTC