W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2018

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2018-05-10

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 17:54:51 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <f3694d12-39ab-a19c-c215-4634f2a1a366@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2018/05/10-i18n-minutes.html





text extract follows:

- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

10 May 2018

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2018May/0002.html

Attendees

    Present
           addison, r12a, Fuqiao, JcK, Peter

    Regrets
           Katy

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]WebAuthn update
          5. [8]The q element
          6. [9]Microdata
          7. [10]Info Share
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      * [12]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <r12a> regrets?

Agenda

Action Items

    [13]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-706?

    <trackbot> action-706 -- Addison Phillips to Publish
    charmod-norm for wide review -- due 2018-04-05 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [14]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/706

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/706

    close action-706

    <trackbot> Closed action-706.

    action-710?

    <trackbot> action-710 -- Richard Ishida to Announce charmod on
    home page, twitter and send to unicore -- due 2018-05-10 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/710

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/710

    close action-710

    <trackbot> Closed action-710.

Info Share

    [16]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

      [16] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: follow up on pointer spec to see if
    they requested a review

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-711 - Follow up on pointer spec to
    see if they requested a review [on Addison Phillips - due
    2018-05-17].

    <r12a> [17]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/4

      [17] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/4

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping webvtt on our issues 4 and 12
    since they have a CR transition with these open

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-712 - Ping webvtt on our issues 4 and
    12 since they have a cr transition with these open [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2018-05-17].

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: make HTML53 review homework for next
    telecon

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-713 - Make html53 review homework for
    next telecon [on Addison Phillips - due 2018-05-17].

WebAuthn update

    peter: description of webauthn
    ... provides a way to integrate 2FA into web flows
    ... such as yubi key or a card or authentication
    ... secure logins or purchasing
    ... integrate work of fido alliance

    <xfq> [18]https://w3c.github.io/webauthn/

      [18] https://w3c.github.io/webauthn/

    peter: relying party (RP) can call for authentication
    ... where issue came up is user or RP can set up display name
    ... dont' just want to use a key
    ... say instead "fubar inc"
    ... want to i18n
    ... display name might be non-ascii
    ... user can also set display name
    ... might also be non-ascii
    ... jeff hodges suggested peter (self)
    ... cited PRECIS spec
    ... whole stringprep
    ... reused for other things
    ... replaced stringprep because tied to unicode 3.2
    ... profiles in PRECIS
    ... password, username, nicknames/handles
    ... jeff know about it from ietf
    ... nickname profile very permissive
    ... suggested locking down tighter

    addison: why is a limitation interesting or necessary?

    <xfq> [19]https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/pull/878

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/pull/878

    peter: truncation also an issue, at least 64 bytes

    <r12a> bytes being the problem, better characters

    [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&
    q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Awebauthn+

      [20] 
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?utf8=✓&q=is:issue+is:open+label:webauthn+

The q element

    <xfq>
    [21]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-the-q-elemen
    t.en

      [21] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-the-q-element.en

    <xfq> [22]https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3636

      [22] https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3636

    <r12a>
    [23]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-the-q-element
    .en#css_styling

      [23] 
http://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-the-q-element.en#css_styling

    addison: need non-break spaces in fr-CH?

    <r12a> ACTION: r12a to check spacing for french examples in q
    element article (for non-breaking)

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-714 - Check spacing for french
    examples in q element article (for non-breaking) [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2018-05-17].

    fuqiao: makes more sense than just using lang on root element
    ... works better with page with a large section in another
    language

    richard: what next?
    ... in section on how quotes are used

    <xfq>
    [24]https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/rendering.html#quote
    s

      [24] https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/rendering.html#quotes

    richard: goes through what you do with embedded language
    ... difference between quoting a document vs. embedding
    language
    ... better to have complete control
    ... add a para to say, if display what actually look like
    ... then give example
    ... maybe better to use charaters in this special case

    <r12a> ACTION: r12a to add info to q element article about
    quoted text that should looks like original

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-715 - Add info to q element article
    about quoted text that should looks like original [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2018-05-17].

    <r12a> [25]https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3636

      [25] https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3636

    richard: one of anne's question is seems most browsers align
    with html
    ... breaking to some extent

    <r12a> Also, it seems most browsers align with HTML today so
    this would be a breaking change to some extent? That might be
    acceptable though since it should strictly speaking improve
    things and it's unlikely to actually break sites.

    xfq: need test updates too

    richard: we agree that changing whatwg spec right?
    ... currently have 2 versions of tests

    addison: change spec and match the tests to that

    <JcK> yes

    change the spec?

    <xfq> +1 to change the spec to :root:lang(CODE),
    :not(:lang(CODE)) > :not(q):lang(CODE)

    jck: spec should change

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: update whatwg issue 3636 to say we
    discussed and would like to proceed

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-716 - Update whatwg issue 3636 to say
    we discussed and would like to proceed [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2018-05-17].

Microdata

    [26]https://github.com/w3c/microdata/issues/21

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/microdata/issues/21

    <r12a> [27]https://w3c.github.io/microdata/#i18n-considerations

      [27] https://w3c.github.io/microdata/#i18n-considerations

    <r12a> "Authors may prefer to convert their data to RDFa to
    take advantage of its better support for Internationalization."

    <xfq> +1 on not object

    "nolo contendre"

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: update microdata issue 21 saying we
    don't object

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-717 - Update microdata issue 21
    saying we don't object [on Addison Phillips - due 2018-05-17].

Info Share

    richard: south east asian TF growing
    ... quesitons up and growing

    <r12a> [28]https://github.com/w3c/sealreq/issues

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/sealreq/issues

    richard: some is actually maybe going to link up with issue in
    JLReq

    <r12a> [29]https://github.com/w3c/jlreq/issues/17

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/jlreq/issues/17

    richard: might want to wrap on word basis or for a11y use
    spaces
    ... use explict word separator
    ... find an invisible and use word spacing property to set
    space around character
    ... if you want really good, apply without inserting special
    characters
    ... proerpty in this text, put spaces around words
    ... ability to make japanese show gaps around words
    ... likely useful for other scripts
    ... SEA list want ability to say on long compound words or on
    shorter words
    ... good to have a way to say that in CSS
    ... or on syllable because no dictionary avail

    addison: same mechanisms; ability to spec dictionaries might be
    important too

    richard: fix on ICU might be needed
    ... 14 people invited, will invite more
    ... WG agreed it would be good to plan to convert other lreq
    groups to have more of a network mission, to bring in more
    people

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: follow up on pointer spec to see if they
    requested a review
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: make HTML53 review homework for next
    telecon
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping webvtt on our issues 4 and 12 since
    they have a CR transition with these open
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: update microdata issue 21 saying we
    don't object
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: update whatwg issue 3636 to say we
    discussed and would like to proceed
    [NEW] ACTION: r12a to add info to q element article about
    quoted text that should looks like original
    [NEW] ACTION: r12a to check spacing for french examples in q
    element article (for non-breaking)

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 10 May 2018 16:54:56 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:13 UTC