W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2017

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2017-09-28

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 17:28:53 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <41d3a0d3-e88f-0546-5c1e-e6b40f7f8d0d@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html






text extract follows:


- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

28 Sep 2017

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Sep/0013.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           addison, David, JcK, Bert, r12a, David_, andrewc

    Regrets
           Steven

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Radar
          5. [9]Websub content negotiation
          6. [10]Review Pending and Close issues (continued)
          7. [11]UTR 53 Unicode Arabic Mark Ordering Algorithm
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      * [13]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <scribe> ScribeNick: addison

    Note Well: new dial-in info
    [14]https://www.w3.org/2017/09/i18n-meeting-info.html

      [14] https://www.w3.org/2017/09/i18n-meeting-info.html

    <r12a> Previous meeting minutes:
    [15]https://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-i18n-minutes.html

      [15] https://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-i18n-minutes.html

Agenda

Action Items

    [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-618?

    <trackbot> action-618 -- Richard Ishida to Create a short
    document about making direction default recommendation to be
    'auto' and send to www-international@ for review -- due
    2017-08-25 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/618

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/618

    close action-618

    <trackbot> Closed action-618.

    action-652?

    <trackbot> action-652 -- Addison Phillips to Ensure that our
    tpac av request is filed -- due 2017-09-21 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/652

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/652

    close action-652

    <trackbot> Closed action-652.

    action-655?

    <trackbot> action-655 -- Richard Ishida to Send pending issues
    agreed during call, and close issues agreed during call; and
    send out new list for discussion next week -- due 2017-09-28 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/655

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/655

    close action-655

    <trackbot> Closed action-655.

Info Share

Radar

    [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    [21]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

      [21] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    richard: education, possibility of developing a course in i18n,
    arabic in html/css

Websub content negotiation

    [22]https://github.com/w3c/websub/issues/124

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/websub/issues/124

    <r12a> [23]https://w3c.github.io/websub/#content-negotiation

      [23] https://w3c.github.io/websub/#content-negotiation

    (discussion)

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: notify Websub we are satisfied with
    124 [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action01

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-656 - Notify websub we are satisfied
    with 124 [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-10-05].

Review Pending and Close issues (continued)

    <r12a> [25]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

      [25] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

    <r12a> [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/387

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/387

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: contact fantasai about issue 387
    inviting summary of current status of text-emphasis-position
    [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [27] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action02

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-657 - Contact fantasai about issue
    387 inviting summary of current status of
    text-emphasis-position [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-10-05].

    [28]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/23

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/23

    richard: almost closeable
    ... spec implied one emphasis mark per character
    ... meaning Unicode codepoint perhaps
    ... spec updated to mean text unit
    ... which is tailored grapheme cluster

    no object to original comment

    richard: just close?

    close

    [29]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/389

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/389

    <r12a> [30]https://github.com/w3c/jlreq/issues/9

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/jlreq/issues/9

    addison: emphasis marks too?

    [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/388

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/388

    add 388 to the action item

    [32]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/385

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/385

    in vertical ja, marks/underline on right, in zh, on left

    scribe: what happens when ja embedded in zh or vice versa

    richard: also question about whether Korean uses emphasis
    marks, raised a question
    ... seen in horizontal text
    ... raised question

    [33]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/395

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/395

    <r12a> [34]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1288

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1288

    <r12a> JcK: this could also be an issue in Latin, eg. what
    happens in 'gij' ?

    <r12a> andrew: you need to ensure that it doesn't clash with
    latin characters with dot below or macron below

    <r12a> ACTION: Richard to look for latin text with dot or
    macron below that could cause problems for underline [recorded
    in [35]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

      [35] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action03

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-658 - Look for latin text with dot or
    macron below that could cause problems for underline [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2017-10-05].

    <r12a> ACTION: Richard de-pend all the css-text-decor issues
    [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

      [36] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action04

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-659 - De-pend all the css-text-decor
    issues [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-10-05].

UTR 53 Unicode Arabic Mark Ordering Algorithm

    [37]http://www.unicode.org/review/pri359/

      [37] http://www.unicode.org/review/pri359/

    [38]http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr53/tr53-1.pdf

      [38] http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr53/tr53-1.pdf

    <r12a>
    [39]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is
    %3Aopen+label%3Autr53

      [39] 
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:utr53

    richard: if you look at page 7
    ... example 2a and 2b
    ... sukun under seen
    ... problem is to get order to stay same
    ... if normalized, you get 2b (always)
    ... messed up original numbering for normalization
    ... trying to address
    ... means is an additional bit of normalization just for arabic
    ... but could spread to other scripts
    ... re-orders things that are borken
    ... in order to place in either order, you should use a CGJ
    ... as soon as you run NFC/NFD on this, you will break one
    ... then reapply arabic only algorithm

    addison: don't want to change the normalization itself?

    richard: stability says can't change
    ... big worry is go back to all specs that deal with
    normalization

    addison: a new normalization form :-(

    richard: add rules to normalization, additional decision point
    since only arabic

    andrewc: myanmar script, order of code points different from
    normalization

    richard: have a look at what I wrote

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Richard de-pend all the css-text-decor issues
    [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: Richard to look for latin text with dot or macron
    below that could cause problems for underline [recorded in
    [41]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: contact fantasai about issue 387
    inviting summary of current status of text-emphasis-position
    [recorded in
    [42]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: notify Websub we are satisfied with 124
    [recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [40] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action04
      [41] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action03
      [42] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action02
      [43] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
      ___________________
Received on Thursday, 28 September 2017 16:29:03 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 28 September 2017 16:29:05 UTC