W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2017

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2017-09-14

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 16:11:07 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <448c260a-4e0a-d428-374c-3761efae281f@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html





text extract follows:


- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

14 Sep 2017

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Bert, addison, steve, r12a, David, andrewc, JcK

    Regrets
           Jan, Steve

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]Radar
          5. [8]Issue Review
          6. [9]AOB?
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      * [11]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    previous minutes
    https://www.w3.org/2017/09/07-i18n-minutes.html

    <scribe> ScribeNick: addison

Agenda

Action Items

    [12]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [12] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-636?

    <trackbot> action-636 -- Addison Phillips to Update floating
    times q+a to address confusing section at end -- due 2017-07-20
    -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [13]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/636

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/636

    close action-636

    <trackbot> Closed action-636.

    action-650?

    <trackbot> action-650 -- Addison Phillips to Write to remote
    playback and indicate that we are satisfied and our review is
    in fact complete -- due 2017-09-14 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [14]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/650

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/650

    close action-650

    <trackbot> Closed action-650.

    action-651?

    <trackbot> action-651 -- Richard Ishida to Shorten the list of
    pending/closed items and reissue for next telecon discussion --
    due 2017-09-14 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/651

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/651

    close action-651

    <trackbot> Closed action-651.

Info Share

    addison: to be in Amman, Jordan

    richard: just written outline for a course for the w3c edx
    program
    ... something like "writing html in arabic/for arabic users"

    <r12a> TPAC AV
    [16]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2017JulSep/0149
    .html

      [16] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2017JulSep/0149.html

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ensure that our TPAC AV request is
    filed [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action01

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-652 - Ensure that our tpac av request
    is filed [on Addison Phillips - due 2017-09-21].

    <r12a> [18]https://r12a.github.io/app-keyevents/

      [18] https://r12a.github.io/app-keyevents/

    richard: just today uploaded a new applet
    ... key even monitor
    ... had one years ago, but updated to match key-events
    ... gives info about what info key event object has stored
    ... could be handy for key events spec
    ... also grappling with accesskey
    ... just writing tests
    ... finding diff results
    ... things we want to mention in html spec
    ... also reviewing wcag spec
    ... likely some input there
    ... and possibly ui events spec
    ... they don' tmention what happens when key produces more than
    one char
    ... shift-A produces diacritic with a base character together
    ... in FF and Safari, they key event .key value becomes both
    ... but chrome only the last one
    ... needs more testing

    jck: will miss next weeks call

    andrew: want to talk sometime about how key event monitoring

    richard: want more documentation?

    andrew: trying different keyboards, typing same key

    richard: key should give you the character that keyboard
    produces
    ... and code should give you the same thing, like KEY D
    ... and modifiers tells whether you pressed shift/alt/ctrl/meta

    andrew: third party input frameworks don't produce anything
    ... and mac viet keyboard
    ... some getting dead as a result
    ... how keyboards work across plafs will be different (e.g.
    viet)

Radar

    [19]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    [20]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017S
    ep/0004.html

      [20] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Sep/0004.html

    request for DNT review

    richard: a request to review WCAG 2.1
    ... additions to previous ver
    ... working through and raising issues
    ... didn't put a WCAG label in radar yet

    <r12a>
    [21]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is
    %3Aopen+label%3Awcag

      [21] 
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:wcag

    richard: but issues at above link

    [22]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

      [22] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    richard: mention that Bert has been doing some

    <r12a>
    [23]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/language-matrix.htm
    l

      [23] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/language-matrix.html

    richard: language matrix
    ... scroll down you'll see Dutch

    <r12a> [24]http://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/latn-nl

      [24] http://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/latn-nl

    richard: gap analysis of Dutch
    ... tricky question we need to figure out answer to
    ... for notes/footnotes/running heads/etc.
    ... those features are not available in any browsers at the
    moment
    ... how do we mark up?
    ... color gray? doesn't indicate work there. but orange or
    green... really looking for i18n specific things

    addison: diff between broken-and-unimpl vs. unimpl?

    richard: want to know the difference
    ... spec vs. impl issue, maybe use a different symbol

Issue Review

    [25]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2017
    JulSep/0101.html

      [25] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2017JulSep/0101.html

    [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/400

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/400

    addison: I can forward it
    ... they're not likely to do anything with it

    [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/413

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/413

    jck: valid vs. invalid utf-8 codes, reference encoding is
    probably a good idea

    forward with ref to encoding preferred

    richard: if point to something, point to encoding?

    jck: wfm

    [28]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/399

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/399

    forward

    [29]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/385

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/385

    richard: these are issues that have been raised sometime ago
    ... fantasai asked me to go through for dispositino of comments
    ... where input needed, marked as pending
    ... discussion already there, but we haven't take initiative
    ... need to read thread and make contributions

    addison: need tracking label?

    richard: send email around asking for input

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: send email about default stylesheet
    for emphasis marks (issue 385) seeking input [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [30] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action02

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-653 - Send email about default
    stylesheet for emphasis marks (issue 385) seeking input [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2017-09-21].

    [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/388

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/388

    richard: all of these are the same, will list all of them

    [32]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/378

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/378

    not i18n

    joc to raise as individual issue

    [33]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/379

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/379

    no objections, forward

    [34]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/377

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/377

    forward

    [35]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/351

      [35] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/351

    forward

    [36]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/350

      [36] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/350

    addison: is this talking about a paste operation?
    ... capture the direction context
    ... may want to recreate direction on a full para, but not if
    inserted into a larger context

    richard: asking to have a discussion
    ... discuss with input events people

    forward

    [37]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/349

      [37] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/349

    forward

    [38]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/211

      [38] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/211

    richard: about delete word backwards/forwards

    jck: also the question about which direction 'forwards' and
    'backwards' means

    addison: logical order?
    ... logically preceeding the caret

    andrew: LTR text with page order is influenced by arabic (bound
    left)

    richard: really interesting, can you send info to list?

    forward

    [39]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/210

      [39] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/210

    forward

    <r12a> ACTION: Richard to forward all comments we discussed
    during telecon. [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

      [40] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action03

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-654 - Forward all comments we
    discussed during telecon. [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-09-21].

AOB?

    richard: will shorten list again
    ... I'm knee deep in apples, please come pick some up

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ensure that our TPAC AV request is filed
    [recorded in
    [41]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: Richard to forward all comments we discussed
    during telecon. [recorded in
    [42]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: send email about default stylesheet for
    emphasis marks (issue 385) seeking input [recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [41] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action01
      [42] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action03
      [43] http://www.w3.org/2017/09/14-i18n-minutes.html#action02

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Friday, 15 September 2017 15:10:35 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 15 September 2017 15:10:36 UTC