[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2017-02-02

https://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html





text snapshot follows:



Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

02 Feb 2017

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Jan/0023.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           r12a, Addison, JcK, David, najib

    Regrets
           Steve, Felix

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [9]publication of Counter Styles note
          6. [10]Proposal to move International Text Layout and
             Typography Index to FPWD
          7. [11]Issues to close
          8. [12]Charmod-Norm comments
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      * [14]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Action Items

    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-581?

    <trackbot> action-581 -- Richard Ishida to Send vertical
    article for wide review after getting final feedback and fixing
    the issue styling -- due 2017-01-26 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/581

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/581

    action-582?

    <trackbot> action-582 -- Richard Ishida to Sort out
    justification text on typography document -- due 2017-01-26 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/582

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/582

    close action-582

    <trackbot> Closed action-582.

    action-584?

    <trackbot> action-584 -- Richard Ishida to Send note to
    www-international announcing switching to github digests and
    set up the digests -- due 2017-02-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/584

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/584

    close action-584

    <trackbot> Closed action-584.

    richard: how are we liking it?

    addison: liking a lot

    jck: +1

    richard: option of also weekly, add that too?
    ... would go tuesdays at 6PM UTC...

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: set up weekly digest of github in
    advance of the teleconference to send to the public-i18n-core
    list [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-587 - Set up weekly digest of github
    in advance of the teleconference to send to the
    public-i18n-core list [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-02-09].

    action-585?

    <trackbot> action-585 -- Richard Ishida to Move the
    justification materials to separate article and point to it
    from typography document -- due 2017-02-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [20]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/585

      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/585

    close action-585

    <trackbot> Closed action-585.

Info Share

    richard: member of Arabic Layout TF raised issue against chrome
    ... for counter styles
    ... you could star that issue to support it getting fixed

    <r12a> [21]https://t.co/jIOiYtVNFY

      [21] https://t.co/jIOiYtVNFY

    richard: put together tests
    ... counter styles tests

    <r12a>
    [22]https://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/counter
    -styles

      [22] 
https://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/counter-styles

    richard: previous tests just did the predefined list
    ... needed tests for customized styles
    ... now have some at above link
    ... only FF supports at the moment :-(

    addison: ticket other browsers?

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: file additional tickets for support
    of predefined counter styles against remaining browsers
    [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-588 - File additional tickets for
    support of predefined counter styles against remaining browsers
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2017-02-09].

RADAR and Active Work Review

    [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    TTML2

    richard: focusing on ruby stuff just now

    [25]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

      [25] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    richard: hebrew tf, working on charter
    ... process bump, working through
    ... making github repo, etc.
    ... by mid next week have a tf in place

publication of Counter Styles note

    [26]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017F
    eb/0002.html

      [26] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Feb/0002.html

    [27]http://w3c.github.io/predefined-counter-styles/

      [27] http://w3c.github.io/predefined-counter-styles/

    richard: added a couple of arabic styles

    <r12a>
    [28]https://github.com/w3c/predefined-counter-styles/commits/gh
    -pages

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/predefined-counter-styles/commits/gh-pages

    richard: and pointed to christof p├Ąper's site

    <scribe> ... closed most issues

    addison: doing this the right way? should we externalize the
    styles?

    richard: can publish as often as we like as a Note

    najib: about counter style

    <najib> Would suggest that you also add The WP-hijai (in the
    table) as "Arabic-alphabetic" countee-style.

    richard: would like to have arabic-tf discuss a little
    ... I'm unclear if hijai is order vs. a counter style?
    ... example is swedish and french use of alpha counters vs.
    their dictionary order

    najib: taught in school, okay, will look into if used in lists

    move to publish as a Note

    +1

    <David> +1

    <r12a> +1

    <Klensin> +1

    <najib> +1

    so resolved

    addison: any text in SOTD about plans to update regularly

    richard: no can put some

Proposal to move International Text Layout and Typography Index to
FPWD

    <r12a> [29]http://w3c.github.io/typography/

      [29] http://w3c.github.io/typography/

    richard: key changes, two sets
    ... took out fantasai's text about justifiation in several
    scripts
    ... put in separate article
    ... some email since

    <r12a>
    [30]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/typography/justi
    fication.en

      [30] 
https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/typography/justification.en

    richard: don't want to publish her's for wide review until
    approved
    ... longer, added things to it
    ... think we shouldnt wait
    ... publish index doc as fpwd
    ... second change
    ... had some links. two docs
    ... one is a checklist
    ... and this doc
    ... links to issues rather than to topics
    ... links in checklist pointing to request for info, such as
    "how does korean do ine break"
    ... worried about it
    ... lists of issues grow/shrink all the time
    ... so made standard links under issues

    <r12a> [31]http://w3c.github.io/typography/#text_decoration

      [31] http://w3c.github.io/typography/#text_decoration

    richard: links points to github issues lists
    ... this way requests for information or requests for impl can
    grow and shrink

    that's mighty clever

    move to publish as FPWD

    <najib> +1

    +1

    <r12a> +1

    <David> +1

    <Klensin> +1

    so resolved

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish typography index as FPWD
    [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

      [32] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-589 - Publish typography index as
    fpwd [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-02-09].

Issues to close

    [33]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017J
    an/0024.html

      [33] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Jan/0024.html

    richard: significant rewrite of uievents
    ... they made a strong effort to address our comments
    ... changes to U+ notation
    ... made a signfiicant difference

    [34]https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/343

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/343

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: follow up on html issue 343 wording
    and reopen if necessary [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

      [35] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-590 - Follow up on html issue 343
    wording and reopen if necessary [on Addison Phillips - due
    2017-02-09].

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: re-check letter spacing in css-text
    issues for closure [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

      [36] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-591 - Re-check letter spacing in
    css-text issues for closure [on Richard Ishida - due
    2017-02-09].

    richard: closed the uievents one

Charmod-Norm comments

    [37]http://w3c.github.io/charmod-norm/

      [37] http://w3c.github.io/charmod-norm/

    <r12a> ACTION: Richard to close UIEvents issues with close tag
    [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action06]

      [38] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action06]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-592 - Close uievents issues with
    close tag [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-02-09].

    [39]http://w3c.github.io/charmod-norm/#matchingAlgorithm

      [39] http://w3c.github.io/charmod-norm/#matchingAlgorithm

    addison: needs an implementation

    <jck throws the unexploded bomb of emoji comparison>

    [40]https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues

      [40] https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues

    [41]https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues/78

      [41] https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues/78

    [42]https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues/54

      [42] https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues/54

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: file additional tickets for support of
    predefined counter styles against remaining browsers [recorded
    in [43]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: follow up on html issue 343 wording and
    reopen if necessary [recorded in
    [44]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: Richard to close UIEvents issues with close tag
    [recorded in
    [45]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish typography index as FPWD
    [recorded in
    [46]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: re-check letter spacing in css-text
    issues for closure [recorded in
    [47]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: set up weekly digest of github in
    advance of the teleconference to send to the public-i18n-core
    list [recorded in
    [48]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [43] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action02
      [44] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action04
      [45] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action06
      [46] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action03
      [47] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action05
      [48] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/02-i18n-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 2 February 2017 18:03:18 UTC