[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2017-04-27


text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

27 Apr 2017



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2017/04/27-i18n-irc


           Steve, Richard, Addison, Jan


           Addison Phillips



      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Radar
          5. [9]CSS Text Decoration
          6. [10]Support for bidi in strings
          7. [11]AOB?
          8. [12]Ruby Content Model
          9. [13]support for direction
      * [14]Summary of Action Items
      * [15]Summary of Resolutions

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <scribe> ScribeNick: addison


    richard: html review

Action Items


      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> action-611 -- Addison Phillips to Contact martin to
    see if unicode-xml will be worked on soon so that wg can decide
    if alternate next steps are needed -- due 2017-04-27 -- OPEN


      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/611


    <trackbot> action-613 -- Richard Ishida to Add pictures of
    successful rendering to bidi strings doc -- due 2017-04-27 --


      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/613

    close action-613

    <trackbot> Closed action-613.


    <trackbot> action-553 -- Addison Phillips to Work with richard
    to develop a pros/cons document describing the different
    bidi-in-json handling proposals -- due 2016-09-29 -- OPEN


      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/553


    close action-553

    <trackbot> Closed action-553.

Info Share



      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    richard: reviewed html52 bits that changed
    ... came up with only one issue
    ... came up with a non-i18n issue too
    ... which I forwarded

    addison: 51 holdovers?

    richard: several in our list
    ... not sure status

    addison: schedule time next week to review
    ... IMSC due


      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/376


      [22] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    richard: issues arising on grapheme clusters in Indic
    ... from unicode
    ... where you break grapheme clusters
    ... only tells part of story and possibly problematic
    ... for cases where character shape can differ
    ... need more folks involved in indic work; needs to be updated

    addison: not sure, given what we know, that there's a solution

    richard: reviewing the javascript course
    ... not a lot to say about i18n
    ... did add 3 pages of stuff on keyboards and such
    ... could be good basis for an article?
    ... not doing anything with escapes in this basic course

    <r12a> [23]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-drafts/projects/1

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-drafts/projects/1

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: finalize floating time article for
    publication [recorded in

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2017/04/27-i18n-minutes.html#action01

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-615 - Finalize floating time article
    for publication [on Addison Phillips - due 2017-05-04].

CSS Text Decoration

    <r12a> [25]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

      [25] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

    richard: went through fantasai's disposition of comments
    ... at her request
    ... some things where she's looking for feedback
    ... labeled those as pending

    <r12a> [26]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

      [26] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/


      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/23

    addison: that may need a title adjustment. thread zeroed in on
    emphasis marks on punctuation?

    <r12a> [28]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/389

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/389

    richard: some additional text now in the first comment box
    ... this is a tracker issue, contrib to the actual issue, etc.
    ... that will pop up when we create a new "tracker" issue
    ... if you click on new issue you'll see a para



Support for bidi in strings

    richard: look at from 2 perspectives
    ... for proposals but also for specdev as intro text


    richard: ruby content model notes


      [30] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/ruby-content-model

Ruby Content Model

    richard: initial stab
    ... ruby annotation spec and html5 have different models
    ... other specs doing it too
    ... css also has needs developing
    ... so basic content model for ruby
    ... core base
    ... *not* saying "this is how to ruby in html5"
    ... establish the core. if you want to add nested, that's an
    ... not describing the markup either
    ... just relationship

    addison: mising fallback?

support for direction

    richard: html5 changed to make dir attribute do bidi isolation
    ... other browsers do that, but edge does not
    ... possible to encourage that?

    jan: will try to share

    richard: here's a link to tests



Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: finalize floating time article for
    publication [recorded in

      [32] http://www.w3.org/2017/04/27-i18n-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 27 April 2017 16:38:13 UTC