[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2016-06-09


text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

09 Jun 2016



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/09-i18n-irc


           Addison, Felix, Richard, Steve, JcK


           Addison Phillips

           Addison Phillips


      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Radar
          5. [9]next steps of Encoding spec
          6. [10]specdev developments
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      * [13]Summary of Resolutions


Action Items


      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close action-520

    <trackbot> Closed action-520.


    <trackbot> action-522 -- Addison Phillips to Html github issue
    127 look into additional recommendations if any -- due
    2016-05-19 -- OPEN


      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/522

    did update

    close action-522

    <trackbot> Closed action-522.


    <trackbot> action-526 -- Richard Ishida to Provide note text to
    indicate that selection tools should take care in selecting
    boundaries -- due 2016-06-02 -- OPEN


      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/526

    richard: didn't do, but think they have the text

    close action-526

    <trackbot> Closed action-526.


    <trackbot> action-528 -- Addison Phillips to Look into issue
    123 and update as needed -- due 2016-06-09 -- OPEN


      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/528

    created new html issue

    close action-528

    <trackbot> Closed action-528.


    <trackbot> action-529 -- Addison Phillips to Forward issue 122
    to html -- due 2016-06-09 -- OPEN


      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/529

    did that

    close action-529

    <trackbot> Closed action-529.


    <trackbot> action-530 -- Addison Phillips to Write to chairs@
    with a note saying effectively "don't follow old lc model,
    giving us no time to react" -- due 2016-06-09 -- OPEN


      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/530

    close action-530

    <trackbot> Closed action-530.

    close action-531

    <trackbot> Closed action-531.


    <trackbot> action-532 -- Richard Ishida to Send a note to
    www-international asking for last call on deprecation of o-time
    and deprecate if no objection -- due 2016-06-09 -- OPEN


      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/532

    close action-532

    <trackbot> Closed action-532.

    close action-533

    <trackbot> Closed action-533.

Info Share

    richard: note to chairs, brought up in global Staff
    ... added staff contacts to org reviews earlier
    ... labels
    ... so we see thigns in other's issues lists
    ... wai asked about "magic labels"

    felix: attended loc world workshop this week



    felix: FEIGSGILT
    ... link to program above
    ... several interesting things
    ... xliff om working on object model
    ... transfer loc content from json
    ... what we discussed a while ago
    ... interop between diff formats
    ... not just specific to i18n or l10n

    <fsasaki> [22]https://www.w3.org/community/rax/

      [22] https://www.w3.org/community/rax/

    felix: not throw away what theyve done

    <scribe> ... new CG related to that

    UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: many people in language processing
    ... extract text, annotate, merge back
    ... need workflow

    <fsasaki> [23]http://fsasaki.github.io/stuff/feisgiltt2016/

      [23] http://fsasaki.github.io/stuff/feisgiltt2016/

    felix: talk I gave in link above
    ... xml, linked data
    ... hides content specific in js method
    ... metadata coordination would be useful
    ... demo is web annotation
    ... can put web annotation in
    ... both xpath and offset based selectors demoed



      [24] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/radar/

    steve: sent off 157
    ... couldn't add tags, labels, subscribers
    ... copied link into our github issue
    ... 158, added additional text proposal
    ... others richard closed


      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/158

    If specified, the value must be a single grapheme: a string
    that contains a sequence of graphical Unicode code points.
    Typically, this sequence will contain a single Unicode code
    point, but there may be cases where multiple code points are
    needed to generate the single grapheme.

    (discussion of whether there are keyboard keys that produce a

    remove graphical

    richard: issue is with term printable character


      [26] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    richard: urgent review requests

    phil archer and sandro hawke

    addison: don't recall will double check

    richard: example

    <r12a> क़ड़

    Alt- and a keypress on hindi

    <r12a> U+0958 U+0958 DEVANAGARI LETTER QA



    <r12a> क़ड़

    <r12a> U+0915 U+0915 DEVANAGARI LETTER KA

    <r12a> U+093C U+093C DEVANAGARI SIGN NUKTA

    <r12a> U+0921 U+0921 DEVANAGARI LETTER DDA

    <r12a> U+093C U+093C DEVANAGARI SIGN NUKTA

next steps of Encoding spec



    richard: plh suggests publishing smaller snapshots
    ... trying hard not to fork
    ... some things happening


      [28] https://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-cr-doc2

    richard: some substantive changes
    ... may mean new CR needed?
    ... mostly raised dec/jan
    ... settling since
    ... have updated the tests
    ... apart from the ones that deal with replacement encoding and
    ... re-running tests
    ... some areas of progress in browser support
    ... figure out how to say where we have problems
    ... for 2 implementations
    ... a lot of times we need like one character fixed
    ... or two that are same and one different
    ... need a plan to bring attention of implementators to

    addison: mapping tables as errata?



    richard: a few more days to assemble data
    ... working on it, may need to discuss with addision+plh

specdev developments

    please read it :-)

    need to look again

    richard: did radical reorg
    ... wanted to see if any major faux pas



    <r12a> [31]https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

      [31] https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

    These rewritten: Resources Blocks, paragraphs, or similar
    chunks of content

    <r12a> [32]https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/#sec_lang_decl

      [32] https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/#sec_lang_decl

    richard: to generate new material, went through issues we
    generated for web-annotation
    ... "what can I write to make these less likely"
    ... debrief after future reviews

    file github issues



      [33] https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/474

    <r12a> [34]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

      [34] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/


      [35] https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/473

    122 and 123

    A health warning should make mention of this. Otherwise users
    might be surprised when they enter a "local" wall time and it
    is later returned as a different date or time value because of
    the difference between local wall time and UTC.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 9 June 2016 19:02:58 UTC