Re: The HTML q element can sometimes be useful. Discuss.

On 4/26/2016 9:20 AM, ishida@w3.org wrote:
> I figured it would be good to start a thread where we can address the
> wider questions that kept popping up on the other thread that was
> focused on the styling in the HTML5 rendering section.
>
> Here we get to put pros and cons for the existence of the q element,
> suggestions for improving it, advice about when to not use it, ideas
> about what's needed above and beyond it, etc.  I think CSS styling of
> quotes is probably in scope too, since it's hard to talk about the
> markup without the styling support.
>
> It may help to limit the scope, however, just to *actual quotations*,
> rather than all the other things people stick 'quote marks' around,
> just in order to prevent a situation of herding cats.

That's actually an interesting subject.

I would think the triage here should be part of the discussion -- in the
sense, of "is there a reasonable agreement for the 'natural' scope for
the <q> element", and is that different from simply using it to get
balanced quotes without having to type them.