Re: Wiki summary of q element default styling issues

On 4/25/2016 9:03 AM, ishida@w3.org wrote:
> clearly indicated a preference for quotation marks to follow the
> language of the text outside the quote.

The quotation marks should follow the language immediately outside the
outermost quote. Having nested quotes use some other convention for the
inner quote, based on the language of the outer quote is a non-starter.

It may be useful for some authors in some specific combination of
languages, but remember, quotes are so bizarre that some languages use
what is the "closing" quote for many other languages as their starting
quote.

You simply can't nest those quotation systems inside each other without
total confusion.

Same goes for cases where two languages (or regional styles of a
language) use the same pair of outer / inner marks, but use the opposite
convention. Again, the only way you can keep that straight is by
strictly using the language of the surrounding unquoted text.

Ultimately, I think John's suspicion that the punctuation around quotes
is more like content (more like other punctuation) than style is well
founded. We don't have semantic objects for things like sentence-ending
punctuation, even though there are systematic ways their use differs by
language (e.g. amount of space).

A./