Re: "International" email addresses [I18N-ACTION-374]

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM, John C Klensin <john+w3c@jck.com> wrote:

> (1) If these groups believe that the IETF specs are too
> permissive or badly defined, put together a proposal
> ​ ​
> and submit

it through the IETF process.

​I agree with you, in principle. There are times, however, where another
spec (like HTML5) may support a narrower syntactic format than the original
specification.

Now, it might be that what I suggest is too narrow. Perhaps something like
this
would be better
​:

​
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/swift/conceptual/Swift_Programming_Language/TheBasics.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014097-CH5-XID_468
.
​

What would be interesting would be to gather some statistics on the number
of email messages in use that would be affected...​

(And just speaking for myself, I have too few years of life left to get
involved in another IETF proposal
😱. Addison
​ is still young; maybe he​
is game 🎱 ...)
​

​

​
> those restrictions are entirely in line with W3C and WHATWG

moves in other areas such as the Encoding spec.
> ​
> ​

​Thanks for the note, and I agree with you. I meant my note to just apply
to just the ​ASCII forms.​

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*