Re: Encoding API exceptions

On 11/14/14, 8:13 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 4:39 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> I expect that a bigger issue than the exact type of exception that's thrown
>> will be things like whether the attributes are accessors or value props,
>> whether they're actually readonly, what arguments are allowed (e.g. the
>> USVString bit for TextEncoder),
>
> Should we change IDL to allow data properties?

Possibly.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "actually readonly".

Well, once you have a data property, it could be writable or not.
Unlike an accessor where it makes sense to have no setter if you can't
think of a sane thing for the setter to do, a data property always has
something sane to do on write: update the value.  So I expect people to
push for more writability.

> USVString seems compatible enough, it's a conversion similar to ToString.

Albeit one that does not exist in ES right now.

-Boris