Re: Encoding single-byte tests

On 2014/08/31 20:52, Richard Ishida wrote:
> On 30/08/2014 11:20, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
>> On the other hand, testing that the browser uses U+FFFD when the
>> Encoding spec says so makes sense, and that's what I have done.
>
> Yes, I agree it makes sense, thereby testing the decode algorithm rather
> than just the index file information. I will update my tests, assertions
> and results and hope to republish by tomorrow.

Great.

Please note that while for this test, we have to include testing some
part of the decoding algorithm, the reason why I was doing that wasn't
so much to test the decoding algorithm itself (we are very far from
doing anything coming close to a comprehensive test for that), but in
fact the index file information, in particular the absence of a line for
certain byte values.

If we don't do this, we could have an empty index file (even if just by
chance or by accident) and the tests would all be green but the test
result would be completely misleading.

Regards,   Martin.