RE: HTML Time Zone proposal

The data value probably should be parsed according to rules in HTML, so it would be true that 2014-06-10T00:00:00+08:00 has the incremental time value equivalent to June 9, 2014 at 4 PM UTC. Then if there is a tz attribute of “America/Los_Angeles” (which is GMT-07:00), that incremental time displays as June 9, 2014 9:00 AM (if I’m doing my maths right). So the tz overrides the LTO of +8 for display, but not for parsing of the value. This would mean that parsers would work without regard for the tz attributes presence or absence and identically to today. The recommendation is to use “Z” (UTC) for timestamps to prevent confusion.

Thoughts?

From: Leandro Reis [mailto:lreis@adobe.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:27 PM
To: Arle Lommel; Phillips, Addison
Cc: www-international@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML Time Zone proposal

Hi Arle,

I proposed the addition of this overriding rule to the core i18n WG. My thought is to have the tz value completely override the offset (e.g. interpret as 12:10:11 London time).

I hadn’t thought of the conversion option you described. I think it’s a valid option, although I’m struggling to visualize a use case for it.

Regards,
Leandro