[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2014-07-17


Text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

17 Jul 2014



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/07/17-i18n-irc


           Addison, Richard, Felix, JcK, DavidC, prashant_(via_IRC)

           Addison Phillips

           Addison Phillips


      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR
          5. [9]Indic Layout Requirements
          6. [10]Encoding
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items


    <r12a> prashant, will you join the call?

    <prashant> i am available through IRC only

Action Items


      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    <fsasaki> my action items still not done, please keep open as
    usual, sorry


    <trackbot> action-252 -- Felix Sasaki to Ping dita folks about
    contacting html5 about ruby progress -- due 2013-09-05 -- OPEN


      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/252

Info Share

    addison: we published charmod-norm

    <DavidC> Great

    JcK: are you all aware of the "hamza above" controversy
    ... in unicode description of hamza differs

    "bet with hamza above" doesn't decompose to bet plus hamza

    JcK: discussion in IAB I18N group
    ... ID starting Monday

    <scribe> ACTION: JcK: send link to "hamza above" ID to public
    list [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-320 - Send link to "hamza above" id
    to public list [on John Klensin - due 2014-07-24].

    richard: changed charmod-norm before publishing it
    ... only editorial changes
    ... mainly section 2

    addison: did a few more minor edits



      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

Indic Layout Requirements





    richard: they have issued a new version
    ... (scrabbles around for a link)
    ... suggest that we publish a FPWD
    ... and provide some guidance to the TF

    <prashant> aphillip, revised has already being uploded at




    <prashant> this is the latest version

    richard: propose that they use a stable link for editor's draft
    ... propose that they port to ReSpec
    ... and stablize heads
    ... remove screen snaps

    <prashant> ok

    richard: suggest using TTWF framework instead of screen shots?
    ... and perhaps make document more generic

    addison: yes, not focused strictly on CSS

    richard: publish a document with general requirements and then
    publish recommendations

    <prashant> aphillip: we will update the revised document as

    richard: latin text & chinese groups doing similar
    ... some additional information not yet in document

    <prashant> sorry, call is not available right now

    richard: need to do a more formal/complete review as a WG

    <prashant> ok will made the changes and circulate it into the
    Indic mailing list

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: follow up with prashant on what we
    discussed about preparing Indic document for FPWD [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-321 - Follow up with prashant on what
    we discussed about preparing indic document for fpwd [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2014-07-24].

    <prashant> ok i will get in touch with Richard

    richard: comments to public-i18n-indic

    <prashant> and follow his instructions for fpwd


    richard: discussion about how to have the discussion?
    ... work through each item and decide if "resolved"?
    ... Anne has responded to some

    addison: so we said we'd review, de-dupe, and file bugzilla


      [22] https://www.w3.org/International/track/products/25

    richard: not just forward to Anne, but try to encourage Anne to
    work forward to a conclusion


    <trackbot> issue-149 -- Code point definition -- open

    <trackbot> [23]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/149

      [23] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/149

    close issue-149

    <trackbot> Closed issue-149.


    <trackbot> issue-150 -- User agents must not support any other
    encodings or labels. -- open

    <trackbot> [24]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/150

      [24] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/150

    richard: I'm satisfied on issue-149
    ... 150 is old, perhaps very old

    JcK: would declare many interfaces based on GB code to invalid
    ... may impact other protocols that depend on other encodings
    or labels

    richard: understand where Anne's coming from

    JcK: might merit a SHOULD avoid if at all possible

    richard: can you write a follow-up email?
    ... probably need to extend 150



    addison: encoding may only apply to interpreting bytes

    JcK: if there exist Unicode-incompatible encodings "in the
    ... patches to support those scripts/encodings/countries may be
    banned from the internet

    addison: may want to suggest explanatory text to accompany the
    "strong statement"
    ... might want to have a separate document we publish that




    <trackbot> issue-151 -- This algorithm is different from the
    one defined in section 1.4 of Unicode Technical Standard #22 --

    <trackbot> [27]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/151

      [27] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/151

    richard: comment is moot
    ... I am satisfied

    close issue-151

    <trackbot> Closed issue-151.


    <trackbot> issue-152 -- New content and formats must
    exclusively use the utf-8 encoding -- open

    <trackbot> [28]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/152

      [28] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/152

    <somnath> hi

    addison: will write a constructive suggestion about issue-152

    richard: extend next week's telecon to get through all items?

    JcK: at IETF next week

    next week: half hour longer

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: ping martin about test availability
    and timing [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-322 - Ping martin about test
    availability and timing [on Richard Ishida - due 2014-07-24].


Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: JcK: send link to "hamza above" ID to public list
    [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: follow up with prashant on what we
    discussed about preparing Indic document for FPWD [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: ping martin about test availability and
    timing [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 17 July 2014 15:36:01 UTC