Re: Two new encoding related articles for review

Documents must not use JIS_C6226-1983, JIS_X0212-1990, HZ-GB-2312, JOHAB
(Windows code page 1361), encodings based on ISO-2022, or encodings based
on EBCDIC. This is because they allow ASCII code points to represent
non-ASCII characters, which poses a security threat.

Well, JOHAB is ASCII-compatible (NOT that I would encourage anybody to use
it. Nobody has actually used it on the web except for testing. So, it may
not be worth mentioning it here. Whether it's mentioned it or not, nobody
will use it). I don't know what encoding JIS X 0212-1990 is like (it's a
coded character set that can be used in one of encodings like EUC-JP -
ISO-2022-based definition. Well, a new definition of EUC-JP in the encoding
standard does not allow it.).

Moreover, 'encodings based on ISO-2022' include EUC-JP, EUC-KR (well, in
the new encoding standard,  it's now synonymous with Windows-949 and it's
not ISO-2022-based any more) as well as ISO-2022-{KR,JP,CN} etc. Obviously,
the encodings in the former group are ASCII-compatible (with a possible
exception of \x5C).

Therefore, to be precise (pedantic ) , 'encodings based on ISO-2022' has to
be replaced with 'ISO-2022-JP*, ISO-2022-KR, ISO-2022-CN*'.

Jungshik