W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > January to March 2014

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2014-03-20

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:22:12 +0000
Message-ID: <532B23C4.20902@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>

Text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

20 Mar 2014



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/03/20-i18n-irc


           Addison, Richard, Mati, Koji, JcK


           Addison Phillips

           Addison Phillips


      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda?
          2. [6]Info Share
          3. [7]RADAR
          4. [8]TPAC plans
          5. [9]What time is this meeting at?
          6. [10]Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs, Deterministic
             Encoding, and other URL issues
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items


Info Share

    koji: group in japan is working on the ruby spec
    ... getting feedback
    ... could someone look at?
    ... we need tests




TPAC plans



    <scribe> ACTION: addison: send a note on member about TPAC
    attendance [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-299 - Send a note on member about
    tpac attendance [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-03-27].

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: respond to TPAC survey to reserve us
    a room [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-300 - Respond to tpac survey to
    reserve us a room [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-03-27].

What time is this meeting at?


      [17] http://doodle.com/9nnds2bywyrgfpy8

    action-296: change the time to 1400Z

    <trackbot> Notes added to action-296 Navigate dst/summer time
    transition to keep call's time intact after dst change.

Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs, Deterministic Encoding, and other
URL issues

    richard: the URL spec seems to be of "looming importance"

    JcK: universal acceptance not a part of that
    ... this started off to cover issues found by ICANN for IDNA
    ... some did not work well
    ... partially to do with input and exchange issues
    ... but also because some were confusable
    ... browsers adopted "confusion reduction" things
    ... each browser was different
    ... in some cases showing encoded form
    ... or blocked, etc.
    ... this made the domains "not work"

    richard: my understand was that this was about fact that IDNA
    doesn't work for stuff like email or certain forms
    ... so not as useful to have an IDN address
    ... came up in MLWW
    ... expressing in terms of needing to get email and other
    things to support
    ... small breakout
    ... Don Hollander asked to spead at next MLWW in Madrid
    ... and others interested will be there
    ... may not have direct role in solving, but we should probably
    facilitate them working on it?

    JcK: may just require patience

    addison: keep eye on and encourge interested parties to "chat
    amoungst themselves"
    ... deterministic encoding?

    Martin chimed in:


    richard: always been a bit of an issue with sending data in a
    ... such as "get"
    ... can't tell what the character encoding of the bytes in the
    URL is
    ... Microsoft proposes adding an extra HTTP header field to
    indicate the encoding

    addison: up to the query part
    ... it's UTF-8

    JcK: URLs encoded in one encoding and then embedded into text
    in another encoding

    matial: something else to MSFT's proposal
    ... anxious to keep compatible with existing stuff
    ... when you don't have new headers the servers keep existing
    ... but if we standardize on UTF-8 can't be both
    ... if queries are UTF-8 in future, that breaks existing

    add to review radar

    addison: seek community comment but only after we review



    richard: should track url spec and participate as needed

    addison: add URL spec to review


    richard: published the article on encoding
    ... hope to publish the other two on Monday
    ... last chance to comment
    ... please to hurry

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: respond to TPAC survey to reserve us a
    room [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: send a note on member about TPAC
    attendance [recorded in

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 20 March 2014 17:22:41 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:04 UTC