RE: I18N-ISSUE-340: [css3-background] Lack of "start" and "end" keywords [CSS3-Backgrounds-and-Borders]

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 23:09:10 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>
> On 02/20/2014 01:52 PM, Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker
> wrote:
> > I18N-ISSUE-340: [css3-background] Lack of "start" and "end" keywords
> > [CSS3-Backgrounds-and-Borders]
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/340

> > Raised by: Addison Phillips
> > On product: CSS3-Backgrounds-and-Borders
> >
> > Document: http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-css3-background-20140204/

> > Section 3.6 "Positioning Images", the keywords "left" and "right"
> > are defined but not the direction-independent "start" and "end"
> > keywords.
> >
> > We feel that there might be cases where one might want to set the
> > start or end edge of a background or of a border in which the starting
> > edge is determined based on the container's direction.
> >
> > The I18N WG discussed this item here:
> > http://www.w3.org/2014/02/20-i18n-minutes.html#item04

> Dear i18nWG,
>    We will not be adding anything to Backgrounds and Borders L3; the current
> LC is just to handle some small adjustments to existing features. But we will be
> adding these keywords to L4.
> If they're not in the FPWD when we publish that, feel free to complain. :)
>    Let us know if this is acceptable.

The I18N WG considered your response in our teleconference this week [1]. This reply is effectively the same as our one to issue 341: we're not really "satisfied" by this, but look forward to the FPWD of L4 that does include it and we have no formal objection to the document.

Regards (for I18N),

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Amazon Lab126)