Re: Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs

On 2014/03/06 03:50, Shawn Steele wrote:
> If something were to happen “in all DNS servers”, I’d way prefer to just make them smart enough to understand UTF-8.

Very well put, but unfortunately as we all know not very realistic.

Not only the IRI spec, but also the URI spec (RFC 3986) allows %hh in
domain names. Allowing this in other interfaces and APIs (but not in
the DNS protocol itself) is definitely a good idea.

I think that both for this specific point of %hh, as well as for more
general issues, working on tests (Mark started it, although he didn't
use the word test explicitly) is the best thing to do. I think we should
just invite Dave Hollander to contribute tests to the W3C test
collection, at least where those are Web-related.

Regards,   Martin.