Re: Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 20:01:46 +0900
To: Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>, Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
CC: Andre Schappo <A.Schappo@lboro.ac.uk>, www International <www-international@w3.org>, Don Hollander <gm@aptld.org>, "public-iri@w3.org" <public-iri@w3.org>
On 2014/03/06 03:50, Shawn Steele wrote:
> If something were to happen “in all DNS servers”, I’d way prefer to just make them smart enough to understand UTF-8.

Very well put, but unfortunately as we all know not very realistic.

Not only the IRI spec, but also the URI spec (RFC 3986) allows %hh in
domain names. Allowing this in other interfaces and APIs (but not in
the DNS protocol itself) is definitely a good idea.

I think that both for this specific point of %hh, as well as for more
general issues, working on tests (Mark started it, although he didn't
use the word test explicitly) is the best thing to do. I think we should
just invite Dave Hollander to contribute tests to the W3C test
collection, at least where those are Web-related.

Regards,   Martin.