Re: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

>> Given that the same effect can be achieved for when one wants to prevent
>> joining by using :before + :after to insert ZWNJ, is a new property
really
>> necessary?

> If we can unambiguously document what constitutes a shaping break that's
> enough.  As far as we know Arabic is the only script affected, so it's a
bit
> hard to think in more general terms.  But then again, you can't really
> convince, say, a Wordpress theme developer to add :after=ZWNJ to "fix"
Arabic...

Arabic script definitely isn't the only one involved. Certainly add to that
the Indic scripts (because of virama) and even German (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_non-joiner).

Nevertheless, if we add to the CSS spec that positive
{padding|margin}-{left|right} has the effect of simulating a space at the
start or end of the element (depending on the element's direction), then the
vast majority of cases will just take care of themselves (since it is
highly unlikely that someone would turn a block element inline without
adding some sort of spacing).

>> As for letter-spacing, wouldn't it be a lot more useful if it joined the
>> letters with a longer line (tatweel-like), not leaving a space between
them?
> True.

Should we start a separate thread for that? Obviously, when I suggested it,
I meant it for Arabic script characters only. It then occurred to me that
this might also be useful for Indic scripts (to get a continuous bar at the
top despite letter spacing), but that appears to be definitely a bad idea;
see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-indic/2013OctDec/0013.html