Re: [css-syntax] ISSUE-329: @charset has no effect on stylesheet??

From: Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:02:31 -0500
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>, "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, www International <www-international@w3.org>
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, CSS still fails at making the length of
>> the declaration bounded, because "get an encoding" trims white space.
>> Gecko imposes a bound on the length anyway.
>
> Actually, the spec now says that browsers MAY bound the size of the
> labels they look for, as long as the bound is at least the length of
> all labels in the spec (19 bytes right now).

Also, the new language for the XX bytes ("between 23 and 7E hex")
excludes all whitespace characters.  (This may not actually be a
desirable change.  I was thinking of it as a convenient way to specify
that non-ASCII characters automatically cause the directive to be
ignored, therefore we don't need to say anything about how to
interpret them.  And no labels contain U+0020 or U+0021, so starting
the range at U+0023 gives us the desired scan-for-closing-U+0022
behavior for free.  I didn't realize that "get an encoding" trims
spaces.)

zw