Limiting the size of the @charset byte sequence

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:41:58 -0800
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>, "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, www International <www-international@w3.org>
On 27/01/2014 00:20, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> It's a terribly bad idea to define an internal character encoding
> declaration syntax in such a way that the syntax definition doesn't
> guarantee the syntax to fit within a string of bytes shorter than N
> bytes with a small value for N. For this reason, it's a bad idea to
> allow an  arbitrary number of whitespace characters between '@chaset'
> and the quote. Unfortunately, CSS still fails at making the length of
> the declaration bounded, because "get an encoding" trims white space.
> Gecko imposes a bound on the length anyway.

Gecko does for CSS like for HTML and only looks at the first 1024 bytes
when looking for an @charset byte sequence.

I updated the spec accordingly. This spec text

> If the byte stream begins with

is now

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/csswg/rev/8dd698785f16

--