[css-text] I18N-ISSUE-334: 'letter-spacing' and Indic

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 18:32:28 +0000
To: "CSS WWW Style (www-style@w3.org)" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: www International <www-international@w3.org>
    Section 8.2: The section on "tracking" ('letter-spacing') may need to consider the effect on scripts such as Indic. The I18N WG asked for guidance from various Indic language contributors [1].

    It was reported to use that 'letter-spacing' is not a native typographic style to these languages, however it is used in several languages, such as Hindi, for visual effect--if only rarely.

    The guidance we received, which is consistent with our understanding, is that letter-spacing should "break" the joining "bar" (shirorekha) in those scripts that use a "bar" and that the separation should be on syllable boundaries. These boundaries do not necessarily correspond to Unicode's default grapheme cluster boundaries, making proper description more complicated.

    [1] See thread: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-indic/2013OctDec/