[css-text] I18N-ISSUE-322: text-justify: auto should recommend international typographic accuracy

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 18:26:56 +0000
To: "CSS WWW Style (www-style@w3.org)" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: www International <www-international@w3.org>
    7.3. Justification Method: the ‘text-justify’ property
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css-text-3-20131010/#text-justify-property

    "One possible algorithm is to choose the appropriate justification behavior based on the language of the paragraph e.g. following [JLREQ] for Japanese, using cursive elongation for Arabic, using ‘inter-word’ for English, etc. Another possibility is to use a justification method that is a simple universal compromise for all writing systems, such as primarily expanding word separators along with secondarily expanding between CJK and Southeast Asian letters."

    Rather than just throw out international variations in justification as an idea of something implementers may like to work on, I think we should recommend that implementers try to take into account international needs as far as possible.

    I think we also need to add something about handling complex script syllables.

    I would reword this paragraph as follows:

    "Implementers are expected, to the extent possible, to make available appropriate justification behaviours based on the language of the paragraph e.g. character-dependent expansion rules for Japanese, using cursive elongation for Arabic, using ‘inter-word’ for English, keeping typographic syllables together in complex scripts, etc. Only where such linguistic tailorings have not yet been implemented should the browser use a justification method that is a simple universal compromise for all writing systems, such as primarily expanding word separators along with secondarily expanding between CJK and Southeast Asian letters."