Re: [css-syntax] ISSUE-329: @charset has no effect on stylesheet??

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:21:01 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>, "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, www International <www-international@w3.org>
On 1/23/2014 10:18 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> So, in sum:
>
> 1. Nobody should be using @charset in the first place. We only retain
> it for legacy purposes, and new stylesheets should just be done in
> utf-8.
> 2. There is a realistic concern that we're already under legacy
> constraints to not loosen the syntax.
> 3. CSS parsing allows for*far*  more variation than just "more spaces
> and either type of quote".
> 4. UAs are very unlikely to implement the full flexibility of CSS
> parsing just for encoding detection.
> 5. If we specify only a subset of allowed variation, the original goal
> of making encoding detection aligned with valid @charset rules is
> still not satisfied.
>
> For all these reasons, I strongly reject any proposal to change the
> current specification regarding the strictness of the encoding
> declaration syntax.
Succinctly reasoned.

Will the spec be written accordingly?

A./