Re: Re: Guessing the fallback encoding from the top-level domain name before trying to guess from the browser localization

Henri Sivonen, Thu, 2 Jan 2014 11:48:37 +0200:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Henri Sivonen, Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:29:37 +0200:
>>>
>>> The list of TLDs that participate

>> [...] not all domains are “legacy domains” either. Consider,
>> from the above list, line 139 and 140:
>>
>>         139 ru=windows-1251
>>         140 xn--p1ai=windows-1251
>>
>> where xn--p1ai refers to the RF-domain - .рф. Is there really no
>> correlation between UTF-8 based domain names and use of the UTF-8
>> encoding ... ?
>
> xn--p1ai isn't a UTF-8 domain name. It's a Punycode domain name. :-)

pUnIntended ... ;-)

> Anyway, the feature avoids guessing outcomes that aren't already
> possible under the current localization-based guessing regime. That
> means never guessing UTF-8.
>
> Would you rather guess windows-1252 for xn--p1ai?

Of course not ... And btw, I realize that modern TLDs, like .рф,
doesn’t always use a modern encoding.

> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
>> Overall, I agree with the question by others of what's the expected
>> "ROI" on
>> this is. With UTF-8 being more and more popular for Web sites, the return
>> for changing fallback encodings is definitely deminishing.

> I think TLD-based guessing will
> have been worthy if it successfully prevents the addition of a
> character encoding override menu to the browser app on Firefox OS.

And perhaps make some vendors drop the menu? I agree that this could be
a subtle, good value.
--
leif halvard silli