Re: [Encoding] false statement

Hi Anne,

What you consider a font hack, other may consider an encoding.
I could discuss the politics of privelege, but that wouldn't get us any
further.

Although, treating iso-8859-1 windows-1252 is also a hack in was similar
sense.

So the encoding standard attempts to enshrine some hacks and refuse others.

But lets make this a bit more productive.

Your position is that utf-8 should (or is it must be?) used.

I have no problem with that.

But that position requires the encoding standard to address two important
issues.

1) how to handle scripts that are not currently supported in unicode. There
are some. And I am involved in digitisation projects involing such scripts.

And relying on a PUA implementation would also be hack.

2) there is no requirement on browser developers to support all of Unicode.
So either browser developers must be required to ensure that any unicode
string will display and render correctly, or use of utf-8 must be only one
option among others for web developers.

Either tackle the current state of unicode support head on, or improve
support for legacy encodings used by minority languages.

As far,as I can tell you are inclined to do neither.