Re: comments on Character Model for the World Wide Web: String Matching and Searching

On 6/19/2014 11:27 AM, Najib Tounsi wrote:
> On 6/19/14 2:51 PM, Matitiahu Allouche wrote:
>>
>> 11) In 2.2 table of Compatibility Equivalence, the third example is
>> labelled "Cursive forms". I think that this would be better labelled
>> "character shapes". Rationale: the example shows various shapes of an
>> Arabic letter. But similar examples could be taken from final versus
>> non-final shapes of some Hebrew letters, or from the final versus
>> non-final shapes of the Greek sigma letter. Hebrew and Greek are not
>> cursive scripts, so the issue here is having position-dependent
>> shapes, not cursiveness.

The Greek final sigma uses a different character code which is not a
compatibility equivalent.

The reason is that, unlike Arabic positional shaping, the selection of
the final form cannot be determined algorithmically at rendering time
and would otherwise introduce the need to use ZWNJ with Greek; not a
good tradeoff.

Whatever example is used needs to be limited to cases of automatic shape
selection at rendering.

A./