comments on Character Model for the World Wide Web: String Matching and Searching

From: Matitiahu Allouche <matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 16:51:40 +0300
To: <www-international@w3.org>
11) In 2.2 table of Compatibility Equivalence, the third example is labelled "Cursive forms". I think that this would be better labelled "character shapes". Rationale: the example shows various shapes of an Arabic letter. But similar examples could be taken from final versus non-final shapes of some Hebrew letters, or from the final versus non-final shapes of the Greek sigma letter. Hebrew and Greek are not cursive scripts, so the issue here is having position-dependent shapes, not cursiveness. To avoid mixing the 2 issues, I suggest to label this line "Character shapes" (or something equivalent) and to take as examples letters from Hebrew or from Greek.

--

Shalom (Regards),  Mati