Re: [css-text] I18N-ISSUE-333: 'letter-spacing' and Arabic

On 5/30/2014 11:08 AM, John Hudson wrote:
> On 30/05/14 5:08 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:
>
>> Is it really expected that implementations decompose optional ligatures
>> when 'stretching' Arabic text? Are we just making assumptions here, or
>> is this based on some typographic tradition?
>
> The whole notion of 'required' and 'optional' ligatures in Arabic is
> extraneous to the script tradition. Indeed, a ligature is a particular
> (obsolete) technological mechanism (a glyph/sort representing more
> than one character), and a function to disable 'optional ligatures'
> presumes that digital fonts provide ligatures that could be disabled.
> An increasing number of digital fonts do not (and not only for Arabic)
> and instead use contextual variants to shape text, even to shape
> 'required ligatures'. Obviously, you can't 'turn off ligatures' if a
> font contains nothing that indicates a particular typeform is a
> 'ligature'.

Interestingly there are (or were) Latin orthographies where these
concepts rose to the level of orthography. German orthographies of the
20th century would have rules that prohibited the use of ligatures based
on the meaning of the word (whether letters where adjacent because of
compounding made a difference) so no rendering system could consistently
apply ligatures for the same letter context.

In particular, the Fraktur style of German knew several obligatory
ligatures. These were not left to the discretion of the typesetter. No
rendering system attempting to reproduce that style could simply "turn
off" all ligatures.

Optional ligatures were used or not used depending on the requirements
for justifying text. Fraktur, typeset in the traditional way is not very
forgiving of large inter-word spacing, except around punctuation.

In 'letter-spacing', which was absolutely the standard way to provide
emphasis in that style, obligatory ligatures were kept together (no
space added between their constituent part, only around them), but
optional ligatures were not applied (all the individual letters had
space around them).

I find it unsurprising that typographers aware of such systems would
apply these concepts to Arabic, whether that is the best possible
description or not.