I18N-ISSUE-314: Line breaking and ruby [.prep-CSS3-text]

From: Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:47:44 +0000
To: www-international@w3.org
I18N-ISSUE-314: Line breaking and ruby [.prep-CSS3-text]

Raised by: Richard Ishida
On product: .prep-CSS3-text

5.1. Line Breaking Details
http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css-text-3-20131010/#line-break-details

"For line breaking in/around ruby, the base text is considered part of the same inline formatting context as its surrouding content, but the ruby text is not: i.e. line breaking opportunities between the ruby element and its surrounding content are determined as if the ruby base were inline and the ruby text were not there."

This is not true where group ruby is concerned. The intercharacter breaks that would be allowed in the base text are not allowed within a run of ideographic characters that are spanned by a single ruby text element.