Re: Comment on ITS 2.0 specification WD - Uniquness of id value

Hi Yves,

I guess within ITS you're right. Where things break down is in the relationship with HTML id values (and possibly xml:id, whose spec I couldn't find).

Let's assume the following HTML fragment:

and ITS rule

<its:rules xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its" version="2.0">
  <its:idValueRule selector="//p[@class='class1']" idValue="its1"/>
</its:rules>

If I understand correctly, this gives me an identifier "its1" for a selection that includes the first and third paragraph in the HTML fragment while excluding the second. I could do that because I'm using class attributes in the selector. I would not have been able to do this with HTML id attributes, even if I created additional <div> nodes, because the selection is discontiguous. So there's no clear relationship between ITS id values and HTML id values.

Norbert