Re: I18N-ISSUE-217: Missing support for localizable items that are not translatable [ITS-20]

Am 18.01.13 10:29, schrieb Norbert Lindenberg:
> On Jan 18, 2013, at 1:06 , Felix Sasaki wrote:
>
>> Am 18.01.13 01:35, schrieb Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker:
>>> I18N-ISSUE-217: Missing support for localizable items that are not translatable [ITS-20]
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/217
>>>
>>> Raised by: Norbert Lindenberg
>>> On product: ITS-20
>>>
>>> ITS 2.0 is missing support for marking up items that are localizable but not translatable.
>> You can achieve that via combining "locale filter" with "translate", e.g.
>>
>> <book xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its" its:version="2.0">
>>   <info>
>>     <its:rules version="2.0">
>>       <its:localeFilterRule
>>         selector="//legalnotice[@role='Canada']"
>>         localeFilterList="en-CA, fr-CA"/>
>>         <its:translateRule selector="//legalnotice[@role='Canada']" translate="no"/>
>>     </its:rules>
>>     <legalnotice role="Canada">
>>       <para>This legal notice is only for English and French Canadian locales.</para>
>>     </legalnotice>
>>   </info>
>> </book>
> The locale filter rule only says that the legal notice needs to be present for en-CA and fr-CA, and omitted from all other languages. It doesn't say that the content of the legal notice may have to change, which is what I mean by "localizable", as indicated in the examples below.

The current definition of locale filter says
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#LocaleFilter
"The Locale Filter data category specifies that a node is only
applicable to certain locales."
which covers the "needs to be present" part. I understand your "needs to
be localizable or not" requirement - but if you say "it may have to
change", why not expressing
<its:translateRule selector="//legalnotice[@role='Canada']"
translate="yes"/>
that means: change the content.

>>> Translatable items can easily be identified with the "translate" attribute; there's no equivalent attribute "localize".
>> There is no need for an equivalent. It is a design principle for ITS1 and ITS2 that the data categories are distinct items and that an application can combine them freely, see above.
> Except that the combination above doesn't fully express "localizable".

Why can't you interpret "translatabe" as "localizable" in the
combination and in your envisaged application? What other application
would be disturbed by that interpretation?

Best,

Felix