Re: Case Sensitivity in CSS [I18N-ACTION-171]

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:25 AM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I think you can have case sensitive user identifiers and still match
> existing keywords case insensitively.  I don't see that as being that
> confusing to authors.

I believe it would be confusing if "@counter-style foo {}" and
"@counter-style FOO {}" defined two different counter styles, but
"@counter-style square {}" and "@counter-style SQUARE {}" defined the
same counter style and overrode each other.

The same argument for confusion can be made for property names, if
"color" and "COLOR" are the same property, but "var-color" and
"var-COLOR" and "VAR-color" are all different property names.  The
latter also makes it harder to deal with the var() function, which
drops the var- prefix from the variable name - is the "var" part of a
custom property name CI, but the rest CS?  Is it only valid if you
write literally "var-", not "VAR-"?

>The flip side is if you make counters match
> case insensitively, why don't class names match case insensitively?

I am okay with technically separate technologies such as Selectors
having different expectations and rules.

~TJ