[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2013-05-16


Text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

16 May 2013



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/05/16-i18n-irc


           Addison, Richard, Mati, Aharon

           Norbert, Felix, JcK

           Addison Phillips



      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Feedback on format of Bidi WG Note proposal
          5. [9]KLReq comments
          6. [10]CharMod-Norm
          7. [11]Bidi
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items

Action Items

    <r12a> [14]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close ACTION-212

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-212 Prepare KLReq for FPWD and usher
    through publication process.

    close ACTION-222

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-222 Talk to robin about HTML5 bidi
    proposal next steps.

    close ACTION-223

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-223 Follow up on status of encoding

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: prepare encoding spec for FPWD
    [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-226 - Prepare encoding spec for FPWD
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-05-23].

    close ACTION-224

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-224 Ask for feedback on update
    techniques documents on the winter list.

    close ACTION-225

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-225 Send addison pointer to respec
    instructions etc..

Info Share

    richard: published KLReq

    (general applause)

    richard: report for Rome ML workshop released



Feedback on format of Bidi WG Note proposal



    <r12a> [18]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/bp-html-bidi/

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/docs/bp-html-bidi/

    richard: had a few comments on this
    ... some from Amir
    ... doc is so simple now could put in direct links



    matial: make icon clearer
    ... and put note in start to say what it is
    ... make larger and add color

    richard: good idea
    ... wanted to discuss if I should forge ahead with language one
    ... and give same treatment

    matial: good treatment
    ... put the details offline and see via icon is good

    richard: will go ahead with language document too

KLReq comments

    richard: question is: should we track comments using tracker?
    ... Korean authors are on CJK list
    ... and then they'd do something about it
    ... not sure if they are looking or will take action?
    ... would it help if we had a list?

    addison: would be helpful to be able to tick off the collected
    ... think they can see tracker??

    richard: some private comments sent to me personally, have
    asked folks to put on public cjk list

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: set up KLReq in tracker and start
    shepherding comments [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-227 - Set up KLReq in tracker and
    start shepherding comments [on Richard Ishida - due



      [21] http://inter-locale.com/w3c/charmod-norm-1.1-draft.html


    richard: had response from Robin for next steps

    aharon: will work on tests

    richard: when you do that...
    ... was difficult to tell if tests worked
    ... not in any particular order and many edge cases
    ... and we have links from places like techniques
    ... to "test your browser", for example
    ... would be great if you could develop the tests in that way

    aharon: existing tests such as dir=auto
    ... some meet that--very simple and core demonstrations



    aharon: not really an addition-to, but knowing which one is the
    basic demo

    richard: link is the one on dir=auto
    ... found some tests that I pulled up into "basic"
    ... also found, in some cases, needed to "tease apart" some of
    the tests
    ... because they appeared to do more than one thing
    ... if remember correctly the original test, for example, did
    both isolation and ordering
    ... but maybe should separate?

    aharon: agree tests should test one thing

    richard: need to ensure everything going in spec is ready and
    ... check CSS is correct
    ... and secton on Unicode controls
    ... section is in 5.1 but not 5.0 yet
    ... check that it's all correct
    ... and then robin knows what to do in rendering section
    ... get into 5.1 so he can pull it for 5.0 when implemented
    ... and we need implementers
    ... want it in 5.0
    ... because in CR now, need implementations if we want in 5.0.
    definitely can get into 5.1

    aharon: two parts
    ... 1. the markup
    ... 2. support for unicode chars
    ... since new unicode chars won't be in 5.0 anyway; requires
    updating UBA in browsers
    ... that takes time
    ... but markup uses css and already works in WK, blink, and moz
    ... moz has a few small problems
    ... only solved by new UBA

    addison: only need two

    aharon: so if WK and blink could do it

    richard: some discussion?
    ... but that would maybe suffice in robin's opinion?

    aharon: could push to make that happen if already in 5.1

    richard: can add to 5.1 straight away
    ... just need to talk to robin to get text right
    ... aim for 5.0 for markup
    ... and add chars support in 5.1

    aharon: action me for next week to go over and probably produce
    changes in text for 5.1

    <scribe> ACTION: aharon: file bug on 5.1 and review text,
    pinging robin about how best to file [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-228 - File bug on 5.1 and review
    text, pinging robin about how best to file [on Aharon Lanin -
    due 2013-05-23].

    aharon: review text in private email with robin/richard and get
    on same page and then, if needed, file bug

    richard: robin can advise if need to email HTML-WG


Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: prepare encoding spec for FPWD [recorded
    in [24]http://www.w3.org/2013/05/16-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: aharon: file bug on 5.1 and review text, pinging
    robin about how best to file [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: set up KLReq in tracker and start
    shepherding comments [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Richard Ishida, W3C

Received on Thursday, 16 May 2013 17:15:35 UTC