W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2013

[minutes] Internationalization WG telecon 2013-05-02

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 17:30:53 +0100
Message-ID: <518294BD.6000002@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2013/05/02-i18n-minutes.html



Text version follows:



Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

02 May 2013

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013May/0003.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/05/02-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Norbert, Mati, JcK, John Colosi,
           Aharon, Najib_(IRC), Felix_(IRC)

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           aphillip

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR
          5. [9]TPAC
          6. [10]Q/A Translate
          7. [11]bidi
          8. [12]AOB?
          9. [13]LOD CG
      * [14]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Action Items

    <r12a> [15]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    <fsasaki> action-203 is ongoing, hope to have a call with robin
    next week

    <fsasaki> same for action-218

    close ACTION-217

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-217 Move "other documents" up and
    clean up the review radar.

    close action-219

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-219 Replace inline bidi markup
    document with new spiffy version with a button and its
    companion explanation of UBA.

    close action-220

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-220 Change TPAC reservation to
    Thurs/Fri.

Info Share

    <John_> Hello all

    John: working for Verisign, worked on IDNA
    ... worked on RACE and later Punycode, policy, language tables,
    etc.
    ... interest here is in IDNA policy and algorithms

    JcK: tried to refer some folks to bidi docs
    ... what links to use?

    <r12a>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/blog/International/2013/04/22/4-new-artic
    les-about-working-with-html-markup-in-arabic-hebrew-and-other-r
    ight-to-left-scripts/

      [16] 
http://www.w3.org/blog/International/2013/04/22/4-new-articles-about-working-with-html-markup-in-arabic-hebrew-and-other-right-to-left-scripts/

    <r12a> [17]http://www.w3.org/International/

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/

    <r12a>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/blog/International/2013/04/29/new-article
    -unicode-bidirectional-algorithm-basics/

      [18] 
http://www.w3.org/blog/International/2013/04/29/new-article-unicode-bidirectional-algorithm-basics/

RADAR

    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar#Internati
    onalization_Review_Radar

      [19] 
http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar#Internationalization_Review_Radar

TPAC

Q/A Translate

    [20]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013M
    ay/0004.html

      [20] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013May/0004.html

    [21]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013M
    ay/0001.html

      [21] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013May/0001.html

    [22]http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-translate-flag

      [22] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-translate-flag

    <r12a>
    [23]http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-translate-flag

      [23] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-translate-flag

    richard: make comments on general direction
    ... interesting question from felix

    <fsasaki> still in a meeting - saw your reply mail, richard -
    sorry, didn't have time to look into it yet

    richard: the situation is "you can say, do translate this
    element and don't translate this element"
    ... ITS by default if translate is on, you translate element
    contents but not attribute values
    ... but some attribute values contain natural language
    ... causes problems not just for trnaslate but for other markup
    like bidi or language
    ... how do you handle when attribute and element contents are
    different
    ... or if some require translation and some don't
    ... can't provide metadata about it

    <fsasaki> FYI, ITS is also considering to drop its own
    definiton of "translate" attribute *for HTML* and just refer to
    the html spec - question is just which html spec ;)

    richard: html currently says "if translate=yes" then translate
    element and all attrbutes

    <fsasaki> I think "html currently says" should be "html5.0 CR
    doc says"

    (we're actually discussing that)

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping HTML about how to address
    comments on translate attribute in HTML5 CR [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2013/05/02-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-221 - Ping HTML about how to address
    comments on translate attribute in HTML5 CR [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2013-05-09].

bidi

    richard: two weeks since published proposals
    ... on isolate
    ... haven't seen any comments
    ... ready for next phase?

    addison: agree

    richard: send email to html list "we have this document, please
    make a decision"?
    ... or do we write an extension spec?
    ... or maybe talk to robin about how to progress it

    aharon: give them a document that says what needs to be done?
    ... don't want a futher document
    ... another doc not useful
    ... bug open on html-next
    ... proposal to isolate by default on items with dir and lang
    ... don't want lang right now
    ... backwards compatibility issue
    ... commented on the bug recently because previous stance
    changed because of what I found in IE

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: talk to robin about HTML5 bidi
    proposal next steps [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2013/05/02-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-222 - Talk to robin about HTML5 bidi
    proposal next steps [on Richard Ishida - due 2013-05-09].

    <aharon>
    [26]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=18490

      [26] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=18490

AOB?

    Norbert: ran across our charter
    ... noticed that encoding spec should be LC by now??
    ... how to start?

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: follow up on status of encoding spec
    [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2013/05/02-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-223 - Follow up on status of encoding
    spec [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-05-09].

    <Zakim> Najib-ma, you wanted to comment on bidi

    <Najib-ma> I think the text (bidi isolate) needs some
    rewording…

    <Najib-ma> It is written for (too much) to promote the solution
    A.

    <Najib-ma> Some significant advantages/disadvantage are not
    well highlighted…

    <Najib-ma> That's it

    can you please send written comments so we can
    incorporate/address? (send to www-international@)

    <Najib-ma> Sure

    thanks

    <r12a> please send very soon

    <Najib-ma> Yep!

    [28]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/CharmodNormProposal201
    3

      [28] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/CharmodNormProposal2013

    richard: AC meeting in Tokyo in June
    ... speaking there
    ... presentation from judy (head of a12y domain)
    ... if there is something I should present, please suggest
    ... started requirements initiatives
    ... localization work
    ... GEO work
    ... talk about things we haven't gotten to
    ... CG set up for best practices in multilingual open
    data/semantic web

LOD CG

    <r12a>
    [29]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uaEJWrbnygkVyvSMAIbCxyM
    xr-7ro2VLiG64qjfkKDg/edit?pli=1

      [29] 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uaEJWrbnygkVyvSMAIbCxyMxr-7ro2VLiG64qjfkKDg/edit?pli=1

    <r12a> [30]http://www.w3.org/community/bpmlod/

      [30] http://www.w3.org/community/bpmlod/

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: follow up on status of encoding spec
    [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2013/05/02-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping HTML about how to address comments
    on translate attribute in HTML5 CR [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2013/05/02-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: talk to robin about HTML5 bidi proposal
    next steps [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2013/05/02-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]





-- 
Richard Ishida, W3C
http://rishida.net/
Received on Thursday, 2 May 2013 16:31:27 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:02 UTC