Re: [review feedback] qa-html-dir

On 05/03/2013 15:25, Matitiahu Allouche wrote:
> These are my comments on the document stored at
> http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/new-bidi-xhtml/qa-html-dir**
>
> **
>
> 1) In section “Handling alignment”, the example is for a LTR page. The
> text should say so.

Done.

> 2) In section “Working with tables”, it is not obvious that the content
> of the cells in the second row is right-aligned. Making the column wider
> than the text will make this more apparent.

That's why I used the numbers.

> 3) In section “Don't go markup crazy!”, second paragraph, replace the
> first occurrence of “unnecessary” by “unneeded”.

Hmm. Doesn't sound English to me. Both words mean the same.

> 4) In the same section, the paragraph
>
> “The Arabic example on the following picture shows bad usage. None of
> the dir attributes are needed if dir="rtl" has been added to the html
> element.”
>
>       could rather be replaced by
> “The Arabic example on the following picture shows bad usage. The
> dir=”rtl” attributes are redundant if dir="rtl" has been added to the
> html element. The dir=”ltr” attributes are superfluous since without
> them the Unicode bidi algorithm would create the same display.”

Worded slightly, but extended the text.

> 5) In section “Reporting direction to the server”, we find “So if the
> user switches the direction of the form in the example above to RTL…”.
>
> a. It is not clear here how one switches direction of the form. This is
> explained later in section “Setting direction on forms explicitly”, thus
> a reference to it here would be in order.

The first paragraph now makes that clearer. I added a link there.

> Note that the phrasing is not quite accurate, since the direction
> setting is done on **form entry fields**, each one separately, rather
> than on forms themselves.

Fixed.

> b. The source of the example has dir=”auto” specified explicitly for the
> input element. I think that it should also figure in the visible version
> of the example, or you should explain that it is implied for the input
> element, if this is the case (which I don’t think it is).

Done.

> c. Once it is established that the direction of the input element is
> auto, you don’t need to make the user switch the direction of the form.
> It is enough to say “If the user enters RTL data in the comment element
> of the example above…”

Fixed (by remove dir=auto from the source code of the live example.)

> 6) The juxtaposition of section “Reporting direction to the server” to
> section “Displaying bidi text in the textarea and pre elements” which
> evokes text area and pre elements containing multiple paragraphs brings
> up the question of how dirname would work with such multi-paragraph
> elements.
>
> 7) In section “Inserting text into a page with the right base
> direction”, “the browsers skips” should  be “the browser skips”.

Fixed.
RI

--
Richard Ishida, W3C