Re: How to language tag language tags?

Gunnar Bittersmann, Fri, 06 Jan 2012 09:58:26 +0100:
> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> If I wanted to create a HTML version of the language subtag registry,
>> then I would tag the entire registry with lang="en" (<html lang="en">),
>
> That’s fine because the keywords (“Type”, “Subtag”, “Description
> ”, “Added”) and some values (“language”, language description)
> are in English. Non-English descriptions should be tagged as such.

So I thought to. But to to the degree that it is aimed at machine
consumption, it could make sense to choose 'zxx' instead, perhaps.

>> while each entr in the registry perhaps could look like this:
>
> The whole registry is a list which makes 'ol' the appropriate HTML
> element (ordered because alphabetically sorted; you might use 'ul' if
> you like).
>
> Each entry is a 'li' that contains key–value pairs, i.e. a
> description list 'dl'.

I agree that these suggestions makes some sense.

>> Question: Do you agree with the choice of language tag for the<dfn>
>> element around the very language tag?
>
> Yes for the language tag; I’m not sure about the 'dfn' element.
> 'code' would be appropriate, with @class="bcp47" or
> @data-language="bcp47" if you like to describe it futher. Maybe both
> elements.

Yes to 'maybe both elements'!

> I suggest this mark-up:

> ⋮
> <ol>
>   ⋮
>   <li>
>     <dl>
>       <dt>Type</dt>
>         <dd>language</dd>
>       <dt>Subtag</dt>
>       <dt>Description</dt>
>         <dd>Afar</dd>
>       <dt>Added</dt>
>          <dd>2005-10-16</dd>
>     </dl>
>   </li>
>   ⋮
>   <li>
>     <dl>
>       <dt>Type</dt>
>         <dd>language</dd>
>       <dt>Subtag</dt>
>       <dt>Description</dt>
>         <dd>Finland-Swedish Sign Language</dd>
>         <dd lang="sv">finlandssvenskt teckenspråk</dd>
>         <dd lang="fi">suomenruotsalainen viittomakieli</dd>
>       <dt>Added</dt>
>         <dd>2009-07-29</dd>
>     </dl>
>   </li>
>   ⋮
> </ol>

Makes sense. If we add some RDFa in there too, then it would become
both machine readable and human readable, I guess ...

> Lines and colons per stylesheet:
>
> li { border-bottom: 1px solid }
> dt::after { content: ":" }

This is always an issue ... And what about white-space ... if there
hadn't been 'in-between-element' white-space ...

Thanks for your reply - this would more in the direction I was
thinking. :-D
--
Leif Halvard Silli