Re: [css3-text] scoping line break controls, characters that disappear at the end of lines

I don't understand; nowhere did I talk about deleting characters.

------------------------------
Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*
**

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 18:50, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Chinese. In short, if Chinese usage has any importance at all, then yes,
> fullwidth spaces must be kept as-is even at the end or beginning of the
> line. Or (perhaps this might be the preferable case) there should be some
> kind of provision to allow this to happen.
>
> In Chinese, deleting fullwidth spaces can, depending on the context,
> change the *semantics* of the text.
>

> 2012/4/1 Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>
>
>> I tend to disagree, if I understand correctly what you mean by "B. If it
>> occurs at the end of a line, does it take up space?"
>>
>> Consider the following case.
>>
>>    1. The text is "abcd<space1><space2><space3>efg"
>>    2. "abcd" fit within the margins, but
>>    3. "abcd<space1><space2><space3>e" does not.
>>
>> I would expect to see the following displayed:
>>
>> abcd
>> efg
>>
>> and not
>>
>> abcd
>>   efg
>>
>> That's the case:
>>
>>    1. even if some of the spaces where fixed width (basically, no matter
>>    which of the Unicode whitespaces they were, except for the Glue
>>    characters NBSP and ZWNBSP).
>>    2. even if the margins were just barely wider than "abcd", so that
>>    the width up through just before the "e" was too wide to fit between the
>>    margins.
>>
>> I would characterize this as "not taking up space at the end of the
>> line"; that is, no matter how many spaces at the end of line, and no matter
>> which they are (excepting glue), you wouldn't expect to see them wrap to
>> the start of the next line. So if that is what Word/IE9 are doing, it looks
>> to me that they are doing the right thing.
>>
>> (That doesn't stand in the way of being able to select/copy whitespace
>> characters that are after "abcd", of course.)
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
>> *
>> *
>> *— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*
>> **
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 13:10, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>wrote:
>>
>>> I asked this question for ideographic spaces at public-html-ig-jp@w3.orgin January without good conclusion at that point. I then had some
>>> discussion with fantasai, investigated a little more, and came into
>>> diffident conclusion than before.
>>>
>>> In short, I support the current spec--keep around all those fixed-width
>>> spaces.
>>>
>>> Long version: fantasai helped me to make the question simpler:
>>> A. If it occurs at the beginning of a line, does it take up space?
>>> B. If it occurs at the end of a line, does it take up space?
>>> C. If there is more than one together, are they kept together, or can we
>>> break between them?
>>>
>>> By eliminating logically incorrect combinations and incorporating
>>> opinions from Japan, we have 3 options:
>>> 1. YES on the beginning, NO on the end, and keep consecutive spaces
>>> together.
>>> 2. YES on the beginning, YES on the end of line, and allow break between
>>> them.