Re: [css3-fonts] font selection for Unicode Variation Selector

After some reflection, I would want to second Koji here.

Variation sequences are designed to have acceptable fallbacks (their
base characters). However, not all variation sequences are created 100%
equal.

Mongolian variation sequences are intended to allow one to show a
particular glyph form, overriding contextual shaping for Mongolian. It's
a good bet that using the fallback in such an instance distorts the
text, even though the distortion may not result in the wrong *word*.
There's a good chance that Mongolian fonts all support these sequences,
so luckily, there's not expected to be a font selection issue.

Mathematical variation sequences were encoded for cases where it was not
clear that a glyph distinction made for a difference in meaning, but
where it was equally not clear that one could leave the choice of the
glyph entirely to the font. Or where there was a chance that users might
insist on just some of these shapes without the need to have two
mathematical fonts around at the same time. In these cases, it's totally
unclear what impact the use of a fallback (base character glyph) has to
the document.

Ideographic variation sequences were created so that Unicode could avoid
having to encode minor variants of ideographs as their own characters.
The goal was to create a well specified way for users to express their
intent (specific glyph) with the added benefit that the text would
remain somewhat legible if a font substitution were to occur. In other
words, using the fallback is OK, if the alternative is showing a missing
glyph symbol.

If the user has fonts that can show the variation, I would tend to agree
with Koji that it is a very unfriendly design if the user must always be
aware of the presence of variation sequences in the text when deciding
on the font selection. Such a design also performs poorly where
authorship of the text and authorship of the style sheet are unrelated
and / or are performed at different times.

If applying a style sheet to a text "breaks" the IVS, then this will
create pressure to encode more of them as first class Unicode
characters. That's not the direction things should go. Therefore,
extending the fallback font selection behavior that is currently applied
on a character basis to variation sequences, and especially IVS, seems a
reasonable step.

A./